FREDERICK, Maryland—Hood College’s 125th anniversary will kick off Sept. 12 at 1 p.m. with a ceremony at Winchester Hall at 12 E. Church St. in Downtown Frederick, the original home of Hood College.
Public officials and members of the Hood and Frederick communities will attend the event. “Margaret Scholl Hood” will even make an appearance, and a plaque will be unveiled recognizing Winchester Hall as the original home of Hood College.
Classes began at the Woman’s College of Frederick on Sept. 12, 1893, in Winchester Hall. The first two graduating classes, in 1895 and 1896, earned certificates. The College was incorporated in 1897 by the State of Maryland and began awarding degrees. By this point, the College had outgrown the buildings it occupied downtown, and it moved to a tract of farmland west of town thanks to a generous donation from Margaret Scholl Hood. In 1912, the Board of Trustees changed the name to Hood College to recognize her contribution.
For more information, contact Laurie Ward at email@example.com. Visit 125.hood.edu for more information on the anniversary celebration.