The facilities center at Hood College is named in honor of Col. Joseph Anthony Pastore, U.S. Army Retired, former vice president for administration and finance and treasurer of the College. Col. Pastore was born June 1, 1919, in Pittsfield, Mass., the son of Nicolas and Frances Pastore.
He was married in 1949 to Florence A. Brazeau, now deceased, with whom he had three children: Dennis, Margaret, and Gerianne. In 1991 he married Patricia Masser of Feagaville, Md., former assistant to the registrar and immigration liaison officer in the office of the registrar at Hood College.
Col. Pastore attended public schools and the Berkshire Business College in Pittsfield. He attended the University College of the University of Maryland and the University of Kentucky. He also graduated from many Army-sponsored courses including a number of computer sciences courses, the Advanced Career Course, and the Army Logistics Management Course.
Col. Pastore enlisted in the U.S. Army in 1941 and served in every enlisted and commissioned officer grade from private through colonel. During his 35 years of military service he was with the U.S. Army Medical Service Corps where his major areas were logistics, hospital administration, and computer operations. During World War II, Col. Pastore served in field medical units in Iceland, England, and France. He received a direct commission in France in 1945.
Following World War II, Col. Pastore accepted assignments at the U.S. Army Reserve Training Center in Harrisburg, Pa.; the U.S. Army Chemical Center in Edgewood, Md.; the U.S. Army Medical Supply Control Office in Brooklyn, N.Y.; the Louisville Medical Depot in Louisville, Ky.; the Office of the Surgeon General in Washington, D.C.; and the U.S. Army Material Agency in Phoenixville, Pa. In 1974 he was named Commander of Fort Detrick at Frederick, retiring in March 1976.
Overseas assignments included the U.S. Army Medical Supply Control Agency in Orleans, France, and the commander of the Army’s largest medical depot in Okinawa, Japan.
Among his awards and decorations are the Legion of Merit, the Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters, the Army Commendation Medal, the American Defense Service Medal, the American Campaign Medal, the European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal, the Army of Occupation Medal, the Armed Forces Reserve Medal, and the National Defense Service Medal.
He also won the Meritorious Unit Citation awarded to the Medical Depot in Okinawa for its outstanding support of our forces in Southeast Asia during the Vietnam War.
Shortly after his retirement from Fort Detrick, Col. Pastore was named director of College support services. His task was to direct and oversee all business activities and physical plant matters. Three months later his title was changed to vice president for administration and finance to more effectively describe his role at Hood. He was the first vice president to oversee physical plant activities and served the College for 16 years. In addition to the responsibilities already mentioned, he also provided the principal staff support for the trustee committees on buildings and grounds and finance.
During his tenure he made the campus a model for safety and cleanliness and supervised numerous campus renovation projects costing more than $25 million. Upon his retirement, he was granted emeritus status by the Hood College Board of Trustees, the first administrator so honored.
Construction projects during his tenure included the Beneficial-Hodson Library and Information Technology Center, the Marx Center, the Hodson Science Link, and the ParCourse. He also oversaw renovations to Coblentz Hall, Hodson Science Center, Williams Observatory, Alumnae House, the Apple Academic Resource Center, and the Counseling Center. He played a major role in obtaining an “A” rating from Moody’s Investors Service in connection with the sale of bonds for the construction of the Beneficial-Hodson Library and Information Technology Center and other projects.
He was also responsible for upgrading electrical and telephone systems in the residence halls and removing PCB transformers and asbestos from the College buildings.
Col. Pastore enjoys music, plays the organ, and is an honorary member of the American Federation of Musicians. He is active in the Frederick Rotary Club, the Friends of Catholic Education, and was a member of the board and former treasurer of St. Johns Regional School, Inc.
The Joseph A. Pastore Facilities Center was dedicated on November 17, 1988. Located on the west side of campus, the center houses the staff of the physical plant as well as serves as a multipurpose building used for storage and provides a garage for college vehicles, equipment and supplies.