The Integrated Marketing Communication major is an interdisciplinary major offered jointly by Communication Arts and Business Administration. Students who select this major will take introductory courses in both fields during their first two years at Hood. Many of these early courses are prerequisites for the upper-division courses students take as juniors and seniors, so it is important that students complete these courses by the end of their sophomore year.
These courses are all offered both semesters.
By the end of the first year, students should have completed.
- The English Composition core curriculum requirement
- MGMT 205 Principles of Management
- The Quantitative Literacy core curriculum requirement
Students who plan to select the IMC major should take a statistics course to complete the QL core requirement. The recommended choices are MATH 112 or ECMG 212 or PSY 211. Students who are interested in taking additional courses in economics should consider taking ECMG 212. Students who are considering double-majoring or minoring in psychology should take PSY 211. All other students should take MATH 112.
These courses are all offered both semesters
- Any first-year course that has not yet been successfully completed
- CMA 201 News Writing or CMA 306 Business Writing in the Digital Age (prerequisite for either course is completion of the English Composition core curriculum requirement)
- CMA 226 Visual Media Production
- MGMT 281 Principles of Accounting
Additional major courses that IMC student could take in the second semester of their sophomore year are:
- MGMT 301 Organizational Behavior (prerequisite is MGMT 205)
MGMT 306 Principles of Marketing (prerequisite is MGMT 205)
Note: Either CMA 201 News Writing or CMA 306 Business Writing in the Digital Age is a prerequisite for CMA 310 Public Relations, which IMC students are expected to take in the first semester of their junior year. Students must complete one of those courses by the end of their sophomore year to stay on track for the major.