The mission of the Department of Economics and Management at Hood College is to provide a high quality education in economics and business management to future leaders of industry, government, and civil society.
At the heart of our education is a commitment to academic excellence, lifelong learning, meaningful extra-curricular and co-curricular experiences, and the preparation of students for lives of responsibility, leadership, and service. In order to achieve this, we have the following strategic goals:
- To provide a curriculum that emphasizes the core competencies in the disciplines of economics and management.
- To offer select specialization opportunities that are relevant and timely through our various concentrations.
- To ensure that our students have the integrative and critical thinking skills as well as quantitative and qualitative abilities to analyze complex economic, social, global, technological, and organizational problems.
- To ascertain that our students have the necessary interpersonal, communication, and leadership skills so that they can function as productive citizens, managers, and leaders.
- To create a collaborative teaching, learning, and research environment that emphasizes social responsibility, environmental sustainability, ethical decision-making, and a global perspective.
- To create a community of teacher-scholars and students who are deeply engaged in real-world problem-solving.
- To foster town-gown relations through effective partnerships with governmental and industry organizations.