Professor of Spanish
Office: Tatem, Room 209
Office Hours: TBA
- Ph.D., University of Barcelona
- M.A., University of Barcelona
- B.A., University of Barcelona
- SPAN 103 Intermediate Spanish
- SPAN 104 Intermediate Spanish
- SPAN 203 Composition and Conversation
- SPAN 207 Cultural Perspectives in Spanish Literature I
- SPAN 208 Cultural Perspectives in Spanish Literature II
- SPAN 321 521 Twentieth-Century Spanish Literature
- Span 322 522 Barcelona
I was born in Barcelona, Spain, and came to to United States in 1981. Since then, I have taught a wide variety of courses at Hood College, from elementary Spanish to graduate courses in Peninsular Spanish literature. Being also a novelist and a literary translator, teaching and writing are my twin passions and bringing the two activities together is one of the most enjoyable aspects of what I do at Hood. Years ago I had the pleasure to co-translate a collection of short stories by Spanish writer Carme Riera with Spanish major Holly Cashman. The book was published and Dr. Cashman is currently a professor at the University of New Hampshire. To me, learning is an ongoing career. I chose to be a teacher so that I could keep being a student.
Research and teaching interests
My area of expertise is the late nineteenth-century Spanish novel. My scholarly and creative activities involve the use of three languages: my native Catalan, spoken by ten million people in several regions of Spain and the country of Andorra, Spanish, and English. I have written five novels, among them a trilogy that focuses on Barcelona at the turn of the twentieth century, and a non-fiction book based on my experiences in America. I have also translated works of fiction by two Spanish women writers and often translate my own books, several of which have appeared in multiple languages.
- The House of Ulloa, a translation of Los Pazos de Ulloa, by Emilia Pardo Bazán. The University of Georgia Press, 1992. Un segle de prodigis, a novel. Columna 1993. Les herbes secretes, a novel. Pages Editors, 1995. A Matter of Self-Esteem and Other Stories by Carme Riera, co-translated with Holly Cashman. Holmes & Meier, 1996. El Carrer dels Tres Llits, a novel. Random House Mondadori, 2002. La petita mort, a novel. Random House Mondarori, 2003. La dona de mercuri, a novel. Edicions 62, 2005. La seduccio americana, non-fiction. Edicions 62, 2009.
- Cinc-cents bars i una llibreria, a novel. Edicions 62, 2010.
Publication book links