Online Course Evaluation via Blackboard
- The college online course evaluation is through SmartEvals. It is using a single sign-on technology via our Blackboard system.
- You have to login to Blackboard to access the online course evaluation and check your results.
- The Course Evaluation button in the Blackboard course site will allow faculty and students to automatically login to the SmartEvals system. You can also access the Course Evaluation link in the Tools area.
- To login directly to SmartEvals use your Hood username or Login ID and the initial password provided to you by the office of institutional research and assessment (OIRA). For first time users, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for your password.
- It is important to change your password upon your first login.
Adding course specific questions
- If you need to add course specific questions or evaluations of a Teaching or Language Assistants please contact your department’s administrative assistant or send your request to email@example.com.
- Inform your students of the online course evaluation through our Blackboard system.
- Students will receive an email invitation via their Hood College email account on the availability of the course evaluation.
- Students can complete the evaluation at any time online during the evaluation period, but you can still allow class time for the completion of the evaluation using an iPad or any mobile device. You can also offer an incentive to increase your class response rate.
Response rate and email reminder
- You will be able to monitor your response rate for each course at the course evaluation website. However, you will not be able to see who has and has not responded, only the response rate.
- Faculty members are encouraged to monitor response rates during the evaluation and encourage students by providing specific information about how these evaluations have been used in the past to improve course content and teaching styles, etc.
- Reminder emails will be sent automatically through SmartEvals for non-responding students. Although there is an option for faculty members to send courses specific emails, please do not use this feature as it causes a redundancy in emails to students.
Access, review and export of evaluation results and raw data
- To access and export your course evaluation results and download course raw data click here for steps.
Custom Reporting and Analysis
- The online course evaluation system offers a highly customizable tabulation of evaluation results. For instance, the drilldown capability allows you to filter results according to a particular demographic of students (e.g., transfer, resident, commuters, etc.).
- The online system also has the ability to comment on a question’s applicability to your class and include explanation or comments.
To watch the SmartEvals Reporting video click here.
Please contact the Office of Institutional Research and Assessment (OIRA) at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about the online process or experience difficulty in checking your response rate or accessing your evaluation results or would like to have a one-on-one walkthrough on the process.