Home  |  Admission  |  Admitted Students  |  Orientation
  |  Academic Credit for Prior work or Test
Bookmark and Share

Academic Credit for Prior work or Test

Have you taken AP or IB exams? College courses?

Transfer Credit

Hood will award credit for courses completed at another college/university that are applicable to an undergraduate degree for which a grade of C- or above has been earned. Official transcripts must be mailed directly to the Office of the Registrar, Hood College, 401 Rosemont Avenue, Frederick, MD 27101.

Advanced Placement (AP)

Hood awards credits for scores of 4 or 5 with the exception of environmental science, which requires a score of 5 and studio art, score of 3 accepted.

AP score reports are sent in July to the college or university you designated on your answer sheet. If Hood was not indicated as a recipient, contact the college board by calling 888-308-0013 or 609-771-7366.

International Baccalaureate (IB)

May examination results are released on July 5. November examination results are released January 5.

If you receive the International Baccalaureate Diploma with a score of 30 or higher and with no score less than 4 in any one of the six examination groups, you may be awarded up to 30 credits toward your undergraduate degree.

If you do not complete the full IB Diploma, or earn below a score of 30 for the diploma, you will receive up to 6-8 credits for higher level examination results of 5, 6, or 7 on a case-by-case basis.

Credit cannot be awarded without the IBO transcript. If you indicated Hood as a recipient, Hood will receive your transcript online.

If you did not list Hood as a recipient, you will need to request your transcript online at

Questions? Contact the registrar’s office, 301-696-3616 or