We recognize that going to college is a new chapter not only in the lives of the students, but also in the lives of parents
and family members, who are an important part of the transition to Hood College. Because you are an integral part of this
transition, we have designed special components of the orientation program just for parents and family members. Look for
special parent/family publications in the mail, and special programming for you during summer orientation.
Parents and family members are encouraged to be involved in the orientation programs and to be active participants in your
students’ transition process. Fill out the information form at www.hood.edu/parentinfo to assist us in our communication
Hood offers support to family members beyond the orientation programs including a Parents Volunteer Network and family
events throughout the year.
Tips for Parents and Family Members
- Read the orientation newsletters
- Plan to attend summer orientation. Highlights include:
- Special sessions just for you!
- Opportunities to meet other family members
- Important financial information
- A family resource notebook
- A chance to meet faculty and staff
- Plan to attend the fall orientation opening session: Thursday, Aug. 18, 2016
- Fall orientation kicks off with the opening session for students and family members Thursday afternoon, Aug. 18.
Family participation ends Thursday evening. Students will be involved in orientation activities
through Monday, Aug. 22.
- Attend Homecoming/Fall Family Weekend: Oct. 21-22, 2016
- Meet President Andrea E. Chapdelaine and other Hood community members at a special forum and reception
- Attend an art exhibit, movie or student talent showcase on campus
- Cheer the Blazer athletic teams on to victory
- Spend time with your student in their new environment
- Explore historic downtown Frederick
- You will receive detailed information about homecoming/fall family weekend this summer