Please Wait. Loading Menu...


Does Hood College offer support services for international students?

Yes. The Multicultural and International Affairs Office provides support to help you integrate into campus and community life and also provides general information on immigration materials and other resources. Learn more about the Multicultural and International Affairs Office and the services it provides here.

The SAT is not available where I live. Can you waive the SAT requirement?

We require an official test profile from oneof the following exams: SAT, ACT, TOEFL, or IELTS. If you do not take the SAT, you would then have to take either the ACT, the TOEFL or the IELTS. However, if you take both the TOEFL and the SAT, please send both sets of scores along with your application. If you are from a Non-English speaking country or community we would recommend you take the TOEFL or IELTS exams.

If you are an international transfer student, who has taken 24 or more credits in the USAyou do not need to submit any test scores. If you have taken college credit at an international institution  you must provide proof of satisfactory test scores.

My coursework has all been in English. Do I have to take the TOEFL?

No. We only require one standardized test from our international applicants. If you do not wish to take the TOEFL or IELTS, you would then have to take either the SAT or the ACT. If you take more than one standardized test, we require that you send all scores to us.

I’m an international student, can I apply as test optional?

If you have completed your secondary education (high school; 4 years)  in the United States, you may be eligible for test optional admission. If you are have attended/completed secondary education abroad you are not eligible for test optional admission, and we will need an official test score profile.  If you have taken two years abroad, and two years in the United States, you still must submit an official test score profile.  If you are unsure if you are eligible for test option admission, please contact  for more information.

My transcript isn’t in English. Do I need to translate it?

International transcripts, whether they are in English or not, need to be evaluated by an accredited evaluation agency. You can find a list of agencies accepted by Hood College here.

When will I receive notice of Hood's decision on my application?

Hood College has set deadlines for first-year students and transfer student. We understand that it is difficult to apply from overseas, and as such international admissions has some leeway with the deadlines. That said, once the admissions office receives your complete application, you will be notified of a decision within two weeks. The absolute deadline for Fall admission is June 15 and for Spring admission is November 15. If a student applies by the domestic student deadlines, they will be informed faster of the decision.

How can I check the status of my application?

Any questions regarding your application status should be directed to the International Admissions Coordinator, at, or by phone at 301-696-3400.

I have already graduated from college with a bachelor's degree. Can I enter a graduate program at Hood College?

Yes, Hood College has a graduate program which offers 15 master's degree and six certificate programs. The Graduate School is separate from the undergraduate admissions office. Please visit to learn more about the graduate school.

Does Hood College provide scholarships or financial aid to international students?

Yes. Hood College offers merit scholarships to international students based on their academic history. All international applicants will be considered for the merit scholarships, ranging from $6,000 to $18,000 per year for freshman and $3,500 to $10,000 per year for transfer students.

How do I apply for the Hood College merit scholarship?

Students will be automatically considered for the merit scholarship when they submit a complete application to Hood College. You will not need to submit any additional documents to be taken into consideration.

Does Hood College offer scholarships that cover all costs?

No, the highest scholarship will only cover a portion of the total cost of attendance.

When will I receive my merit scholarship award decision?

You will be notified on scholarship awards at the same time as admissions decision. The award letter is sent with the official Hood College admissions decision.

I received a scholarship from Hood College. Can I be given this money to help pay for my student visa and airline ticket?

No. The scholarship awards are used towards tuition at Hood College and are credited to a student’s account. The College is unable to advance scholarship awards.

Am I eligible for Hood Financial aid?

No. Only United States citizens are eligible for federal financial aid. Hood offers merit scholarships for international students with strong academic backgrounds.

Can I participate in sports? Are there sports scholarships?

Hood College offers Division III athletics in both men’s and women’s sports. Students interested in playing a sport are encouraged to add that to their application. Hood College does not offer athletic scholarship.

  I’m worried about having enough money to stay in the United States. Can I get a job?

  Yes. There are some campus employment opportunities available to international students. Students interested in campus employment will need to meet with the Director of the Multicultural Affairs office. Your student visa limits the amount of time you can work and where you can work.

When will I receive my I-20 visa form?

Only students who have been accepted by Hood College receive I-20 forms. Once you have signed the enrollment agreement form and paid the non-refundable $350 deposit your I-20 will be sent to you.

  I am applying for my F-1 Visa using SEVIS. It says I have to pay the fee. Will Hood College cover this?

  No. Students are responsible for paying the SEVIS fee when applying for an F-1 Visa. Hood College will supply the I-20 paperwork granting sponsorship to the student to study in the United States, but it is up to the student to apply for the Visa and take the necessary steps. For more information you can visit:

When should I apply for my student visa?

Once you receive your I-20 you should make an appointment at the US Embassy or Consulate as soon as possible. Depending on your country, it could take some time before you are able to receive your visa. Please apply as soon as possible.

  How will I get to Hood College?

  Students are responsible to purchase airline tickets that will allow them to arrive in the United States around the time of orientation. Hood College will pick-up students at the airport and transport them to the college.

How will I meet new students and know Hood Campus?

  International students are encouraged to attend both the international student orientation and the new student orientations at the end of August (before the start of classes). Students will receive tours of the campus and local area, information on Hood College, meet other international students and incoming freshman students, and participate in events to welcome the incoming first year students.

What if I have other questions about enrolling at Hood College?

Contact the Admissions Office by calling 1-800-922-1599, 301-696-3400 or by      emailing