What is Identity Finder?
- Identity Finder is a program that scans your office computer for Personally Identifiable Information (PII) relating to students, faculty, staff of the college stored on your local computer.
Do I need to run the scan on my computer?
- Yes. Detailed instructions are available HERE
Will Identity Finder scan all my documents?
- Yes. However, it is not reading your documents to find out anything about you other than if there is any PII in the document. Hood College’s configuration of the Identity Finder software is searching for Social Security Numbers and Credit Card Numbers only.
How will I know if the scan found any PII on my computer?
- Each Hood employee will see the results for their own scan. (the report window may be hidden behind other open windows on your desktop). Please remove any unneeded files and emails.
How will I know if I need to retain certain files containing PII?
- Your department's business requirements will determine which data needs to be retained. Contact your supervisor to determine which data should be kept or removed.
What should I do if the scan finds my own PII on my office computer?
- It is not required that you remove your own PII, but it is not good security practice to leave it on your office computer.
Will Identity Finder search my files stored on the network (such as Blazer)?
- Yes. However, that scan is conducted separately and is done at the server level.
How long does Identity Finder take to scan my computer?
- The duration of a scan will vary depending on the size of the hard drive and the amount of files stored on the computer. Generally, a scan can be completed in the background while you continue to use your computer.