NOTE: PLEASE ENSURE THE COMCAST MODEM IS CONNECTED TO THE WALL OUTLET AND IS POWERED UP
To connect to the Internet through the cable modem, please follow these steps:
- From your computer or device you wish to connect, go to the network settings for the device. On a PC or laptop, click the networking shortcut located on the taskbar at the lower right of the screen.
- You should see a list of wireless networks available for connection. The name of your apartment’s available networks is listed on the side of your cable modem. Each modem has two network names, the first ending in 2.4 and the second ending in 5. If your device cannot see the second network (the one -5) then connect to the 2.4 connection. Example is show below: If you look at your available wireless networks, you should see the networks listed on the modem amongst the available networks to connect.
- Click on your network’s name. Make sure that “Connect automatically” is checked and then click “Connect”.
- You will then be asked for the network security key. This password can be found directly below the network names on the side of the router.
- After a moment you will be connected, your network bars should be solid. You will then be asked to select if this is a Home, Work, or Public network. Select either Home or Work.
- If you cannot see the network name or the password is not working press the reset button on the back of the router and try connecting again after a few minutes. If this does not resolve the issue ensure that the coaxial cable is connected to the back of the router as well as in the wall jack, and that the power cable is also connected.
- If you are still having trouble connecting, contact the Hood College Help Desk at 301.696.3622 or email "email@example.com" and report the trouble you are having. Please make sure you include your name, contact information, apartment address, and as much information as possible about the issue you are having.