CREDIT AND GPA REQUIREMENTS FOR GRADUATION:
- 124 credits (if admitted prior to Fall 1993)
- 124 credits at 100-level or above (if admitted Fall 1993 or later)
- 2.00 cumulative grade point average (gpa) and 2.00 major grade point average (gpa)
You can monitor your credits and cumulative grade point average (gpa) by viewing your transcript on Self-Service. You need to plan for enough credits in your senior year to earn a minimum of 124 credits (100-level or above).
CORE CURRICULUM REQUIREMENTS
- Transfer students with an AA, AS, or AAT degree or the equivalent are exempt from the Foundation and Methods of Inquiry sections of the Core.
- All Core requirements must be taken for a letter grade—no S/U (satisfactory/unsatisfactory) grades.
- The Foreign Language requirement is fulfilled by six to eight credits in an elementary (101 and 102) foreign language course sequence or exemption through a placement test.
Students may also exempt without credit the six-credit foreign language requirement by placement at the 103-level or above on the foreign language placement test.
International students, for whom English is a foreign language, may meet the requirement by placing into and completing a 100-level English course. If, however, English is the official language of the country, a foreign language is required.
- Students who meet the PE requirement through the activity program must complete one class (1/2 or 1 credit) from the conditioning and fitness category (PE 110-121). Students who participate in two seasons of intercollegiate sports may be exempted from one credit of the PE activity requirement. No credit is earned for the waiver and does not exempt the student from the conditioning and fitness PE requirement. The Athletic Director’s signature is required for the waiver.
- Honors Program students who have completed HON 101, 102, 201, and 202 may exempt three courses (except lab science) from the Methods of Inquiry section of the Core; only one Aesthetic Appreciation course requirement may be exempted. Students who leave the Honors Program but have completed HON 101 and 102 may exempt one Methods of Inquiry Core course; if HON 101, 102, and 201 have been completed, two Methods of Inquiry Core courses may be exempted.
- The three Civilization Core courses (9 credits) must be completed at Hood. Computer science majors are required to complete two of the three areas of the Civilization requirement (6 credits). All other majors must complete all three areas of the Civilization Core requirement (9 credits).