Please Wait. Loading Menu...


When can I apply?

To ensure timely review of applications and enrollment, Graduate School candidates are encouraged to apply and submit all required supplemental documents by the following deadlines:

  • July 15 for fall semester
  • December 1 for spring semester
  • May 1 for summer terms

Program directors will consider any applications submitted and completed after these deadlines on a space- and time-available basis. 

What other materials do I need to submit with my application?

Students must submit an official copy of their transcripts. A transcript request form can be found on our website. For program specific application requirements, such as letters of recommendation, resume, and portfolios, please refer to the website at

What is the minimum Grade Point Average for Admission?

While the minimum cumulative GPA for admission is 2.75, the entire academic and professional record is evaluated for admission.  Students who hold a 2.5-2.74 GPA may be considered for provisional admission based upon their academic record and perceived potential for success in the program.  Conditions of provisional admission will be specified in the Admission letter.  

Can I schedule a visit with a Graduate Admission representative?

Yes! You can request an individual appointment online. or give us a call at 301-696-3600.

Does the Graduate School offer Education programs with initial Teaching Certification? 

No. Hood College offers a post-baccalaureate program in which initial teaching certification can be obtained. This program is offered through our Undergraduate Admission office, 301-696-3400 or

How long does it take to complete a program?

Length of completion depends on the particular program and how many credits the student takes per semester. The Graduate School offers the majority of programs on a part-time to working professionals. However, with careful planning, full-time status is possible in some programs.  

What courses are you offering next semester?

Courses are listed in the Schedule of Classes. 

When do classes begin?

The beginning of classes and other important dates are listed in the Academic Calendar and can be found online at

When are classes held?

Most graduate classes are held in the evenings. Special weekend courses are available in some programs. In addition, a number of programs offer hybrid or online courses designed to work with graduate student lifestyles. Consult the schedule of classes and/or program directors for more information. 

How much is tuition?

Tuition for the 2014-2015 academic year differs by program. Information is available online at There is a $100 Comprehensive Fee per fall and spring semester for all programs. Some courses have lab and/or software fees. 

When is tuition due? 

Tuition is due by the following deadlines:

  • Aug. 15 for fall semester
  • Jan. 15 for spring semester
  • Before the first class meeting for both summer sessions.

How do I register?

A comprehensive guide can be found on the Graduate School registration web page at

When is the last day to register?

Students may register for classes until the first day of the semester. Late registration begins the first day of class. Students may register late for a class, with the instructor's approval, provided that the class has not met more than once. However, students who register late often risk a course being closed. Specific dates for the drop/add period are listed in the online Academic Calendar. 

How to I withdraw from a course?

Notify the Registrar's Office in writing that you wish to withdraw from a course. Use the withdrawal form found on our website. The tuition refund policy is outlined in the college catalog found online at and deadlines are listed in the Academic Calendar. It is the student's responsibility to know the deadlines for withdrawal. 

Can I meet with an adviser before I register for my first class?

Academic advisers are assigned to new students upon admission. If a student would like to be advised before registering for the first class, she or he may call or email the assigned adviser and make an appointment. 

Where do I get books?

At the Hood College Bookstore located in Whitaker Campus Center.  Special Hours, including Saturday and evening hours, are added to the regular schedule at the beginning of each semester.  Hours are posted on the Bookstore webpage. Students with special needs are encouraged to contact the bookstore at (301) 696-3480 or

Do I need a parking sticker or permit?

Students who wish to park in campus lots and the Frederick Memorial Hospital parking deck may obtain a free parking pass from Campus Safety. Complete the vehicle registration form through your Self Service account and bring your confirmation to Campus Safety to obtain your parking pass. Permits are not required for parking spaces outside campus lots. 

What about financial aid?

Financial aid is available for graduate students in the form of federal student loans.  Students may learn more by contacting the Financial Aid Office at (301) 696-3411 or visiting them at:  Hood College also offers a tuition payment plan for fall and spring semesters through the Accounting office.  Information about this plan can be found on the web at:  A limited number of workships and assistantships are also available.  Open positions will be listed on the Careers page of the Hood College website. Additionally, potential graduate students should always check with their employers to determine if they offer partial or full tuition reimbursement.