Hood College aspires to be a premier comprehensive liberal arts college by offering its students an excellent and engaging educational experience that prepares graduates for success.
Hood College prepares students to excel in meeting the personal, professional and global challenges of the future. Hood is committed to the integration of the liberal arts, the professions and technology, to the exploration of values, a sense of community and to the preparation of students for lives of responsibility, leadership and service.
Additionally, Hood is a contemporary liberal arts college that serves as a lifelong learning center where students can examine, evaluate and plan their lives. Uniquely designed programs, dedicated staff and a faculty carefully selected for its teaching excellence and concern for the development of the individual are the hallmarks of a Hood education.
At the heart of the Hood College mission is a century-long commitment to the preparation of students for purposeful lives and careers. Hood believes that the best foundation for employment and further academic training is an education that is balanced between general liberal arts education and specialized career preparation.
Hood College, in summary, offers an education that provides the individual with a sense of identity and purpose, a positive self-image, a concern for others, a responsibility to society and the environment, a respect for freedom of choice and belief, a continuing search for knowledge and understanding and a high regard for academic excellence.
Hood is committed to:
- Meaningful, Well-Rounded Education: Offering high quality undergraduate and graduate curricula that prepares students for meaningful lives, promising careers and responsible global citizenship; and providing innovative and rewarding extra- and co-curricular opportunities, including internships, lecture series, field trips, leadership experiences and athletics;
- Investments in Academic Excellence: Sharpening our focus on academic excellence by supporting faculty and staff enrichment, teaching innovation and meaningful faculty and student research;
- Academic Innovation: Preserving our rich heritage in the liberal arts while pursuing new undergraduate and graduate academic opportunities;
- Building Community: Promoting a vibrant campus environment through student life initiatives that support the academic missions and student success, and celebrate diversity and inclusiveness;
- Investments in People: Attracting, developing and retaining the best student and employee talent;
- Regional Partnerships: Enhancing our intellectual, cultural and social relationships throughout the regional community by developing partnerships with educational institutions, government agencies and corporations in the greater Washington-Baltimore region; and
- Preservation and Enhancement: Acting as responsible stewards to protect, preserve and enhance the College's finances, physical assets and reputation through the strategic management of institutional resources, institutional advancement and marketing.
Our core values
- Knowledge and Intellectual Freedom: The power of ideas to transform lives, for the past to illuminate the present and for theory to guide practice;
- Honor and Integrity: Living lives that adhere to the higheststandards of ethics, honesty, trustworthiness and respect for the self and others, as symbolized by our Honor Code;
- Leadership: The art of influencing others by setting an example through our words and deeds, through service and responsible citizenship;
- Diversity and Inclusiveness: Living the dream in which individuals are judged by the content of their character;
- Responsible Stewardship: The responsibility to use our talents, capabilities and resources to the best of our abilities to excel in whatever we do; and
- Hope: Making the world a better place by living our values and pursuing our opportunities to the fullest while being mindful of our obligations to self and society as responsible citizens of a democracy.