Hood College aspires to be a premier, comprehensive liberal arts college by offering its students an excellent and
engaging educational experience that prepares graduates for success.
Hood College prepares students to excel in meeting the personal, professional and global challenges of the future.
Hood is committed to the integration of the liberal arts, the professions and technology, to the exploration of values, a
sense of community and to the preparation of students for lives of responsibility, leadership and service.
Additionally, Hood is a contemporary liberal arts college that serves as a lifelong learning center where students can
examine, evaluate and plan their lives. Uniquely designed programs, dedicated staff and a faculty carefully selected for
its teaching excellence and concern for the development of the individual are hallmarks of a Hood education.
At the heart of the Hood College mission is a century-long commitment to the preparation of students for purposeful
lives and careers. Hood believes that the best foundation for employment and further academic training is an
education that is balanced between general liberal arts education and specialized career preparation.
Hood College, in summary, offers an education that provides the individual with a sense of identity and purpose,
a positive self image, a concern for others, a responsibility to society and the environment, a respect for freedom of
choice and belief, a continuing search for knowledge and understanding and a high regard for academic excellence.
Statement of Purpose
Hood College prepares its graduates for lives of responsibility, leadership and service by offering an educational
experience that integrates liberal and professional learning in a student-centered environment.
The College's Commitment
Hood College is committed to:
- A meaningful, well-rounded education: Offering high quality undergraduate and graduate curricula that
prepares students for meaningful lives, promising careers and responsible global citizenship; and providing
innovative and rewarding extra- and co-curricular opportunities, including internships, lecture series, field trips,
leadership experiences and athletics;
- Investments in academic excellence: Sharpening the College’s focus on academic excellence by supporting
faculty and staff enrichment, teaching innovation and meaningful faculty and student research;
- Academic innovation: Preserving Hood’s rich heritage in the liberal arts while pursuing new undergraduate and
graduate academic opportunities;
- Building community: Promoting a vibrant campus environment through student life initiatives that support the
academic missions and student success and celebrate diversity and inclusiveness;
- Investments in people: Attracting, developing and retaining the best student and employee talent;
- Regional partnerships: Enhancing intellectual, cultural and social relationships throughout the regional
community by developing partnerships with educational institutions, government agencies and corporations in
the greater Washington, D.C.,-Baltimore region; and
- Preservation and enhancement: Acting as responsible stewards to protect, preserve and enhance the College’s
finances, physical assets and reputation through the strategic management of institutional resources, institutional
advancement and marketing.
- Knowledge and intellectual freedom: The power of ideas to transform lives, for the past to illuminate the present
and for theory to guide practice;
- Honor and integrity: Living lives that adhere to the highest standards of ethics, honesty, trustworthiness and
respect for the self and others, as symbolized by Hood’s honor code;
- Leadership: The art of influencing others by setting an example through words, deeds, service and responsible
- Diversity and inclusiveness: Living the dream in which individuals are judged by the content of their character;
- Responsible stewardship: The responsibility to use talents, capabilities and resources to the best of one’s abilities
to excel; and
- Hope: Making the world a better place by living with values and pursuing opportunities to the fullest while being
mindful of obligations to self and society as responsible citizens of a democracy.