Please Wait. Loading Menu...

Graduate Tuition and Financial Arrangements

Tuition, Fees and Other Charges for the 2010-2011 Academic Year 

Tuition $360 per credit hour

Audit Fee $180 per credit hour

Refer to Tuition and Fees at for future pricing information.

Tuition Payment Methods 

Payment of tuition, fees and other charges is due generally one week before the start of the fall and spring semesters and by the first day of class for the summer terms. Students registering after the deadline must make payment at the time of registration. Students may pay their tuition using the Monthly Payment Plan. Information on this option can be found at or by calling the Accounting Office at (301) 696-3609. Any unpaid balance remaining after classes begin for the semester will be subject to a late fee. Account balances will prohibit the release of grade reports, transcripts and diplomas, as well as registration for future semesters. The Accounting Office can be reached at (301) 696-3607 or

Family Tuition Plan 

Please see Undergraduate Tuition and Financial Aid, Family Tuition Plan for information on the Family Tuition Plan.

Financial Aid 

Information regarding student loans is available from the Office of Financial Aid, located on the third floor of the Joseph Henry Apple Academic Resource Center, and they can be reached by phone at (301) 696-3411 or by e-mail at In order to be eligible for federal loans, a student must be accepted for enrollment in a degree program, take a minimum of 3 credits each semester and be making normal progress toward a degree from Hood as described below. To apply for a federal loan, a student must complete both a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the Hood Graduate Financial Aid Application.

International students, although not eligible for federal loans, may apply for loan assistance from private educational loan programs if they have a credit-worthy cosigner who is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. Additional information can be obtained by contacting the Office of Financial Aid.

Some programs have contract funding to support graduate students. Students should inquire about this possibility with the appropriate program director.

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) 

Students are expected to maintain a record of academic achievement that will enable them to graduate in a reasonable time period. Graduate students receiving financial aid at Hood College of any type (federal, state, institutional and outside scholarships and grants) must demonstrate both qualitatively and quantitatively the ability to do satisfactory academic work and to progress measurably toward a degree. This is in addition to any renewal criteria required for specific state, institutional or other outside awards.

Federal regulations require the Financial Aid Office to monitor students’ (undergraduate and graduate) academic progress at the end of each academic year. This is to ensure that students receiving funds are successfully progressing through their program of study. At the end of the spring semester of each academic year, the Financial Aid Office evaluates the academic progress of each student receiving financial aid according to the standards set forth below by the College. This evaluation determines a student’s eligibility to receive financial assistance in the next academic year. In addition, at the end of both the fall and spring semesters, the registrar reviews the qualitative academic progress of all degree-seeking students to determine the eligibility for continued enrollment at Hood College.

A student’s academic progress is measured using minimum cumulative grade point average (C.G.P.A.) and a maximum timeframe standard that measures the percentage of credit hours earned which is at least 67 percent of credit hours attempted. To determine the percentage, the number of credits earned is divided by the number of credits attempted. For example, a student attempts 9 credit hours for the semester; in order to meet SAP requirements, he or she must earn at least 6 credit hours (6 divided by 9).

Students are considered to be making satisfactory progress toward degree completion for financial aid purposes by adhering to the following standards in the following evaluation periods, which is at the end of the spring semester of each academic year:

First/Second 67% 2.75
Third/Fourth 67% 3.00
Fifth/Sixth 67% 3.00
All Subsequent Semesters 67% 3.00

The maximum time frame in which a graduate student is expected to complete their degree is 150 percent of the published length of the program measured in academic credits. Students will become ineligible for any type of financial aid if the maximum timeframe for completion is not met. For example, if a published length of a graduate academic program is 36 credit hours; the maximum period must not exceed 54 (36 × 150%) attempted credit hours.

Additional Degree / Dual Degree 

The maximum time frame in which a student is expected to complete their degree is 150 percent of the published length of the program measured in academic credits for a student pursuing an additional degree or enrolled in a dual degree program.

Transfer Credits 

Transfer credits and/or credits for prior learning given at the time of enrollment will be counted in the total number of credits attempted. During the course of enrollment, a student may transfer credits earned at outside institutions, however, the credits will apply only for meeting the maximum timeframe standard.

Treatment of W, INC, AU, F, S and U Grades and Repeated Coursework 

  • Course withdrawals (W) after the drop/add period are not included in the G.P.A. calculation, but are considered a noncompletion of attempted coursework.
  • Incomplete (INC) grades are not included in the G.P.A. calculation but are considered a noncompletion of attempted coursework until the incomplete grade is replaced with a permanent grade and academic progress can be reevaluated.
  • An audit (AU) grade is not considered attempted coursework. It is not included in the G.P.A. calculation or completion rate determination.
  • A satisfactory (S) grade is treated as attempted credits earned, but it is not included in the G.P.A. calculation.
  • An unsatisfactory (U) grade is treated as attempted credits that are not earned, but it is not included in the G.P.A. calculation.
  • A failing grade (F) is treated as attempted credits not earned; it will be included in the calculation of the G.P.A. and the minimum completion rate.
  • All grades earned for a repeated course will be included in the calculation of the G.P.A. and every repeated attempt will be included in the completion rate determination.

Financial Aid Probation 

Students are placed on financial aid probation if they do not meet one or both of the SAP standards. Students placed in this status may continue to receive financial aid but are expected to improve their academic standing (CGPA) and/or maximum timeframe progress so that the standards of SAP are met by the end of the next evaluation period, which is the end of the spring semester of each academic year.

Financial Aid Suspension 

If at the end of the probationary period the student still does not meet the standards set forth in this policy, eligibility to receive financial aid of any type will be suspended. Students who fail to meet the maximum timeframe towards completion of their degree within 150 percent of their attempted credits will have their financial aid canceled.

Reinstatement of Aid after Financial Suspension 

Reinstatement of financial aid after a student is placed on suspension is achieved as follows:

  • The student submits a written letter of appeal in accordance with the appeals process and the Financial Aid Appeals Committee grants the appeal. The student is placed on financial aid probation for the semester rather than on suspension; or
  • The student attends Hood College during the suspension semester, pays for tuition and fees without the help of student aid and does well enough in the coursework to satisfy all the satisfactory academic progress standards. The student must notify the Office of Financial Aid if they are planning to attend Hood College without the assistance of financial aid; or
  • The student may attend summer school to eliminate the deficiency in credits or G.P.A. The student must notify the Office of Financial Aid if they are planning to take classes during the summer to eliminate the deficiency. Students cannot take classes at another institution to resolve a G.P.A deficiency. Classes must be taken at Hood College.

A student whose eligibility has been suspended may regain eligibility at the end of any term after which they meet the above criteria.
Students who have been placed on suspension cannot skip a semester and regain eligibility. No financial aid will be disbursed during subsequent semesters for students on suspension.

Appeals Process 

Appeals of financial aid suspension must be made in writing to the director of financial aid by the date specified in the Financial Aid Suspension notification letter.
The appeal letter must address the extenuating circumstance(s) why satisfactory academic progress was not made, why the extenuating circumstance(s) has changed, as well as an outlined plan of corrective action for future academic success. Extenuating circumstances can include, but is not limited to, illness or injury; death of a family member; family difficulties; interpersonal problems with friends, roommate, significant others; difficulty balancing work, athletics, family responsibility; or financial difficulties.
The director of financial aid will review the appeal and notify the student in writing within 10 working days whether the appeal has been accepted or denied. If the appeal has been accepted, the letter to the student will detail the academic plan of corrective action as well as require the approval of the student’s academic adviser. All decisions made by the director of financial aid are final and will not be subject to further review.

Veterans’ Educational Benefits 

Hood College serves as a liaison and informational resource to veterans by providing Veterans Administration forms and certifying eligibility status, and is a Yellow Ribbon participating institution. To initiate or continue benefits, veterans must contact the Registrar’s Office, (301) 696-3616, at the beginning of each semester and comply with the policies and procedures established by the registrar and the Veterans Administration. Information and application forms may be obtained from the Registrar’s Office located on the second floor of the Joseph Henry Apple Academic Resource Center. All students, including veterans, are required to pay the usual fees to the College at the time of registration.