Assistant Professor of Education and Mathematics, Co-Coordinator of the Elementary/ Special Education Program
Office: Tatem Arts Center, Room 119
Office Hours: Monday: 9-10 a.m.; Wednesday: 2:45-4:45 p.m.; and by appointment.
- Ph.D., University of Maryland
- M.A., American University
- B.S., Moravian College
- EDUC 321 Mathematics Curriculum, Methods and Materials
- EDUC 547 The Teaching of Geometry and Measurement in Elementary and Middle School
- EDUC 551 The Teaching of Geometry
- EDUC 552 The Teaching of Algebra
Christy Danko Graybeal, Ph.D., assistant professor of education, teaches courses in mathematics education. Dr. Graybeal received her undergraduate degree in elementary education and mathematics from Moravian College, her master's degree in mathematics from American University, and her doctorate in curriculum and instruction with a concentration in mathematics education from the University of Maryland. She is a former middle school mathematics teacher for Montgomery County Public Schools. She is especially interested in issues related to middle school mathematics teaching.
- Graybeal, C. D. (2007). Whole number multiplication: There's more to it than might be expected! Mathematics Teacher, 101(4), 312-316.
- Chazan, D., Sword, S., Badertscher, E., Conklin, M., Graybeal, C., Hutchison, P., Marshall, A. M., & Smith, T. (2007). Learning to learn mathematics; Voices of doctoral students in mathematics education. In W. G. Martin, M. E. Strutchens, & P. C. Elliott (Eds.), The learning of mathematics (Sixty-ninth NCTM yearbook). Reston, VA: NCTM.
- Graybeal, C.D. (2010, October 12). Teachers' senses of obligation to curricular messages.
International Journal for Mathematics Teaching and Learning
- Graybeal, C.D. (2013). Learning to look for the Standards for Mathematical Practice. Southeastern Regional Association of Teacher Educators Journal, 22(2), 8-13.
- Mayfield, M.E., & Graybeal, C.D. (2013). A professional development program for middle school math teachers in Maryland. In C. Beaver, L. Burton, M. Fung, & K. Kruczek (Eds.), Resources for preparing middle school mathematics teachers (pp. 59-68). Washington, D.C.: Mathematical Association of America.
- Graybeal, C.D., Strickland, T.K., Rodriguez, M., & Guerra, N. (2013). Conceptual understanding of integer operations: A study of middle school students and their thought processes. The Banneker Banner, 28(1), 4-9.