Weather conditions periodically dictate the need to change Hood College’s operations. In making the decision to close the College or alter the schedule, the safety of students, faculty and staff is always the first priority. It is also understood that it is vital to our students and their families that the College keep regular operations running as smoothly and consistently as possible.
The following is intended to inform members of the College community how changes in operating schedules will be communicated and the meaning of the possible announcements on classes, programs and offices.
- Emergency Notification System: The emergency notification system alerts participating students, faculty, staff, parents and others of time-sensitive information during unforeseen events or emergencies. This system uses voice, email and text messaging. When the College’s operations are affected by inclement weather, the system will broadcast pertinent information and provide instructions as appropriate.
To register for the Emergency Notification System or to update your current information, please use the following web link: http://www.hood.edu/hoodalert/
Website: The College website, www.hood.edu, will contain the latest information on weather-related announcements.
- Telephone: Information on College closings or delays will be available at 301-696-3131.
- College Closed: When it is necessary to close the College due to inclement weather, a decision will be announced by 6 a.m. All classes, programs and other events will be canceled, and offices will be closed for the day and evening. However, designated offices, which include Campus Safety, Coblentz Dining, Facilities, the Ronald J. Volpe Athletic Center and the Beneficial-Hodson Library, on a limited basis, will provide appropriate services. In addition, student activities on campus may continue if approved by a supervising employee or coach. Should it be possible to open for evening classes and programs at 5 p.m., a decision will be announced by 3 p.m.
- Delayed Opening: Should it be necessary to delay opening the College due to weather conditions, a decision will be announced by 6 a.m. All classes, programs and events will begin, and offices will open, at the stated time. Student activities on campus may continue prior to the opening time if approved by a supervising employee or coach. Please note that offices may open earlier than the start of classes in order to accommodate the regular class schedule. It also may be possible to open for evening classes and programs at 5 p.m., should conditions improve throughout the day. In such situations, a decision to open for evening classes will be announced by 3 p.m. Designated offices, which include Campus Safety, Coblentz Dining, Facilities, the Ronald J. Volpe Athletic Center and the Beneficial-Hodson Library, will be open and will provide appropriate services during the regularly scheduled hours.
- Early Closing: If the College must close early due to current or forecasted weather conditions, all classes, programs and events will be canceled and offices will close at the appointed time and remain closed for the remainder of the day and evening. The closing time will be made in consideration of the regular class schedule when conditions permit. Student activities on campus may continue after the College closes if approved by a supervising employee or coach. Designated offices, which include Campus Safety, Coblentz Dining, Facilities, the Ronald J. Volpe Athletic Center and the Beneficial-Hodson Library, will remain open and provide appropriate services during the regularly scheduled hours.
Changes to Hood’s normal operating schedule are based on road conditions as provided by state and local police, campus conditions, forecasts from the National Weather Service and guidance issued by the Frederick County Division of Emergency Management. Regardless of the decision to close or alter the College’s operating schedule, individuals should use their own judgment in determining if it is safe to travel.
Additional information for employees:
Staff may elect to use accrued paid time off options for work time missed while the College is open when individuals determine that it is unsafe to travel. Staff who have prescheduled time off will not be credited for the hours that the College closes.