Quick steps to print from your iPad:
- Connect to the Hood wireless network using your Hood ID (pergola\abc1) and password.
- Install the PaperCut Client iOS app on your iPad. This is a required step.
- Log into the PaperCutClient iOS app with your Hood ID (abc1) and password. This is a required step.
- Open the app you wish to print from. Choose the content you want to print and tap the appropriate icon to display the option to Print. The print button can be different from app to app, but generally it is located under the "action" (box w/curved arrow) button.
- Choose a printer. All printers will end with @hcmacsvr2.hood.edu.
- Choose the number of copies you wish to print.
- Make sure Duplex mode is turned off. This is a required step.
- Tap the Print button to print your content. You can open your PaperCut Client app to see your printing history and quota balance.
Quick steps to print from your Macintosh:
Note: These instructions were written for Mac OS X 10.6 + and assume that you have an active connection to the internet. In order to print from a Macintosh, you must install the PaperCut Client tool as described here
and have it running. This app requires Java. You must be logged on to your Mac with Administrator privileges. The instructions below reflect OS X ver. 10.7.x (Lion). Previous versions of OS X will state "Print & Fax" in place of "Print & Scan".
- Log into Hood's wireless network using your student username and password
- Click the Apple icon in the upper left and choose System Preferences.
- Click on the Print & Scan icon.
- Click the plus sign (+) found at the bottom of the Printers dialogue box located on the left side of the Print & Scan window.
- The Add Printer window will appear. Choose the Default icon in the menu bar. A listing of available printers will appear.
- Choose a printer from this list (dbl-click). Depending upon your OS version, the printer driver may automatically be selected. If it is not, choose Select Printer Software and enter either the model of the printer or Generic PCL 6/PCL XL Printer. The model of the printer can be obtained here. Optional: enter the location of the printer.
- Click Add. The printer will be added to your Printers list.
- Note: After clicking Add, a window of Installable Options for the printer may be displayed. Check these as appropriate for the printer, especially if it will print Duplex (only Library and Apple offer this feature), then click Continue.
- Open the application/document you wish to print. When you actually print, the PaperCut Client tool will ask you to login with your Hood ID, Password and the amount of time you will be printing. This feature will allow you to print for a period of time without re-logging into PaperCut.
Quick steps to print from Windows 7:
Authentication to Neptune server (Hood's print server):
- Enter "\\neptune.hood.edu" at Start-Run
- At the login authentication page, enter your username (ie. – pergola\[username]) and password. Then close the window
- Start – Devices and Printers
- Click Add Printer
- Click Add Local Printer
- Click Create a new port. In the “type of port field” select local port, click Next. In the “enter port name field” type \\neptune.pergola.hood.edu\"printername"
- Select a Printer Model, then select the driver name for the specific printer. If the printer is not listed, click on WINDOWS UPDATE, then select printer.
- In the printer name field, change the default HP printer name (eg. HP Laserjet 8150 Series PCL6) to the dorm or lab printer name (eg. Smith) you just selected if you’d like a more meaningful name.
Quick steps to print from Windows 8:
Authentication to Neptune server (Hood's print server):
- At the tile window, type: \\neptune.hood.edu (the search box will automatically open when you start typing).
- At the login authentication page, enter your username (ie. – pergola\[username]) and password. Then close the printer listing window.
Installing the lab printer:
- At the tile window, type: Devices and Printers
- Click on the Settings option right below the search box. A menu on the right will give you several options. Select Devices and Printers.
- In the Devices and Printers window, click on Add a printer.
- The Searching for available printers… window will open. Click ‘The printer that I want isn’t listed’.
- At the Select a shared printer by name enter: \\neptune.pergola.hood.edu\<printername> . Click on next.
- Enter your pergola account information in authentication window.
- The system will then detect and install the necessary printer drivers for that printer. Hit next after getting ‘You’ve successfully added “<printername>” on Neptune.pergola.hood.edu. Then click on finish.
Hood College provides each student the ability to print at various locations throughout the campus. Printing is available through Hood's wired and wireless networks. Both black-and-white and color printing are available, either through single or dual sided documents. Every Hood student account has a dollar-based print quota for printing. A student must be currently enrolled in classes each semester (including summer sessions) in order to have printing capabilities. NOTE: charge examples reflect black and white printing only, although color printing is available:
- Full time students (minimum of 12 credits for undergraduate or 9 credits for graduate) are authorized to print up to $50.00 (1000 black and white pages) per semester on Hood printers without charge.
- Part time students (less than 12 credits either undergraduate or graduate) are authorized to print up to $25.00 (500 black and white pages) per semester on Hood printers without charge.
NOTE: In order to print from a Hood lab/dorm computer, you must login to the provided Hood computer with your Hood ID and Password. A pre-installed printer will then be available.
The table below details current print prices for Hood IT-maintained printers. Print prices apply only to students, not faculty or staff:
||Cost / Page
|Black and White - Single Sided
|Black and White - Double Sided
|Color - Single Sided
|Color - Double Sided
How Student Print Quotas work
Every student account is given either $50.00 (full-time) or $25.00 (part-time) at the beginning of each semester. For each black and white page that is printed, .05 ¢ is deducted from that amount and .25 ¢ is deducted for color printing. For example, if a student's current balance is $35.50, that means $14.50 has been used towards the allocated $50.00 with a remaining 710 black and white pages that can be printed.
A student’s print quota will be reset to $50.00 (full-time) and $25.00 (part-time) at the beginning of each semester including summer sessions. If you exceed this quota, you can purchase additional increases in increments of $2, $5, $10 and $20. For information on purchasing additional printing quota, click here. Please note that a student's remaining quota, at the end of any semester, will not carry over to the next semester.
Finding Student Print Quota
Hood manages student printing through the use of a commercial software program called PaperCut. This product allows the student to view and manage their print use by logging onto a website using their Hood ID (i.e. "abc1") and password. To check/manage your printing account, click here.
Personal Printers for Hood College Residents
Hood College has implemented a personal printer policy for students living in residence halls. To view this policy, click here.