Hood College was founded as the Woman’s College of Frederick in 1893. It was located in Winchester Hall on East Church Street in Frederick and the women played lawn tennis on a grass surface.
When Hood College moved to its current location in 1915, tennis became an important part of campus life. In the 1920s, women played on five clay courts situated to the east of Alumnae Hall where the Coffman Chapel parking lot stands today. By the mid 1930s, Hood had added five concrete courts adjacent to the clay courts.
In 1954, six hard courts were installed on the south side of Gambrill Gymnasium and were the home courts for Hood’s tennis team until 2008.
In 2008, Hood’s women’s and men’s teams began playing home matches at Baker Park.
The Hood College tennis Complex is nearing completion and will open in September bringing tennis back on campus!