Earn college credits while you are still enrolled in high school! Hood College invites exceptional high school juniors and seniors to apply for this dual enrollment program. Hood Start students get college experience and earn college credit. Students may enroll in Hood's fall, spring or summer semesters while still in high school. All Hood Start students must live within commuting distance to Hood's campus.
Click here if you are applying for admission to Hood College as a first year or transfer student.
Hood Start advantages
As a Hood Start student, you will find many opportunities and advantages:
- Earn college credits while still in high school; take a maximum of 11 credits in any semester and earn a maximum of 18 credits through the program. The credits may be applied toward a degree from Hood; acceptance of transfer credits is at the discretion of each individual college or university, but credits for introductory-level courses will usually transfer;
- Reduced tuition exclusively for Hood Start students;
- Become familiar with academic work at the college-level and work with Hood College faculty;
- Discuss academic goals and post-secondary options with a Hood College academic adviser;
- Access to the Beneficial-Hodson Library and Information Technology Center, the 24-hour computer lab, fitness facilities, the commuter lounge and Whitaker Campus Center;
- Special invitations to campus lectures, concerts, art exhibits, film series, admission programs;
- Guaranteed admission into a Hood College degree program upon successful completion of Hood Start classes with at least a 2.5 GPA and no grades less than C in high school degree requirements.
Hood Start tuition for the academic year can be found under tuition and fees. Students are also responsible for any additional fees, including lab, music practice rooms, parking permits, required course materials and textbooks.
Hood Start admission requirements
- High school junior or senior
- Cumulative weighted GPA of 3.5 or greater in college preparatory, honors, Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate curriculum
Hood Start application process
Complete and submit the Hood Start application by the following dates and using the following steps:
- Spring semester enrollment: Dec. 15
- Summer semester enrollment: April 15
- Fall semester enrollment: Aug. 15
Documents and Application:
- Submit official high school transcript(s)
- Submit the school report/counselor evaluation
- Submit the Teacher Recommendation from an academic teacher who has taught you during the past two years
- Schedule a Hood Start interview with the Admission Office
After being admitted, students will be guided to:
- Participate in Hood Start orientation
- Meet with an academic adviser who will assist with course selection
Contact Admission Office
- Phone (in the U.S.): 800-922-1599
- Phone: 301-696-3400
- Fax: 301-696-3819
- Admission Office
401 Rosemont Ave.
Frederick, MD 21701