Andrew G. Truxal, a widely respected educator who became the College’s third president in 1948, strengthened the College’s academic curriculum and established strong ties with the Frederick community. He served for 13 years, retiring in 1961.
The Andrew G. Truxal Chair of Economics and Sociology was endowed by alumnae and friends of the College in 1959, as part of the College’s “Hood Looks Ahead Program.” The Alumnae Association chose to honor Dr. Truxal through the establishment of an endowed professorship as its contribution to the three-year campaign. When asked to state his preference of the department in which the chair would be established, Dr. Truxal chose sociology, since that was the field in which he taught for many years.
“The gift of this endowed professorship established more than the generosity of Hood’s alumnae,” noted President Shirley D. Peterson. “The endowed professorship honored a greatly beloved Hood president while at the same time paying tribute to the very heart of the College—the faculty who teach.”
One of the strengths that Dr. Truxal brought to Hood College was his academic background. He was a sociologist, professor, and an ordained minister.
In reflecting on the tenure of Dr. Truxal, Lois S. Harrison ’45, former chair of the Hood College Board of Trustees, said, “Dr. Truxal was accepted by people of all generations. His genial manner, distinguished appearance, and interest in Hood, all served the College very well.”
During Dr. Truxal’s tenure at Hood, several buildings were constructed, including Hodson Science Hall, Coffman Chapel, Gambrill Gymnasium, the President’s House, and Fox Alumnae Headquarters (an addition to the Y-Hut now known as Carson Cottage). The tennis courts were completed and West Rayford was purchased.
Dr. Truxal came to Hood from Dartmouth College where he had taught sociology for 20 years and served as chairman of the department. He was interested in family relationships and co-authored two books, “The Family in American Culture and Marriage” and “Family in American Culture.” Recognized as an authority in his field, he was awarded honorary degrees from three colleges: Dartmouth in 1936, Franklin and Marshall in 1948, and Western Maryland in 1961. He was a member of Phi Beta Kappa, a member and former national president of Phi Kappa Psi, and a member of the American Sociological Society, the National Council of Family Relations, and Rotary International. He lectured throughout the country and was active in national professional organizations.
He was born February 2, 1900, in Greensburg, Pa. Dr. Truxal received his bachelor’s degree in 1920 and his master’s degree in 1923, both from Franklin and Marshall College, and earned a bachelor’s degree in theology in 1923 from Eastern Theological Seminary in Lancaster. He was an ordained minister of the Evangelical and Reformed Church. In 1928, he earned his doctorate at Columbia University. Earlier teaching posts included Millersville State College and Franklin and Marshall College.
In 1923, Dr. Truxal married Deldee Groff, who continues to reside in Frederick. The couple had two children, John G. Truxal and Noradel Truxal Wilson ’53.
After leaving Hood College he served until 1968 as the first president of Anne Arundel Community College, where the college’s library is named in his honor. Dr. Truxal died February 4, 1968.