Most medical schools require a letter of reference from the applicant's college’s premedical advisory committee. This letter provides a composite picture of the applicant for medical school admission committees. The letter details the applicant's academic, intellectual and social preparedness for the challenges of medical school.
At Hood, this composite letter is written by the Health Professions Advisory Committee. The committee prepares and mails the letter based on information in the student's pre-health file.
The committee requires that students provide the following support materials for their files:
- MCAT scores(It has been our experience that students who score less then 25 on the MCAT are not successful in applying to medical school)
- Copy of your AMCAS and/or AAMCOMAS application
- List of all the schools to which the student is applying
- Three or more letters of recommendation (more are better). At least two of these letters must come from Hood faculty members. One of these letters must come from a member of the science faculty who has had the student in class. These letters should be sent directly to the address below. It is responsibility of the applicant to follow up with reference writers to ensure that their letters arrive in a timely fashion.
- Evaluation forms completed by six professors that had the student in class, four of these forms have to be completed by members of the science faculty from two different science disciplines (biology and chemistry or biology and physics). (See evaluation forms at the bottom)
In addition, applicants graduating from Hood must meet the following minimal requirements in order to request a composite letter from the Health Professions Advisory Committee:
- 3.5 overall GPA or higher
- 3.5 GPA in all science and math courses
- 3.5 GPA in the applicant's major
- No more than one C in the prerequisite courses
- MCAT score >25
- At least one documented meeting per year with the health profession adviser
All support material must be received no later than August 1. Candidates are advised to submit this material well in advance of this deadline (ideal AMCAS submission is in June).
For more information, contact Tiziana Cavinato, Ph.D., health profession adviser, at email@example.com.
All materials should be submitted to:
Health Professions Advisory Committee
c/o Career Center and Office of Service Learning
Apple Resource Center, 2nd Floor
401 Rosemont Ave.
Frederick, MD 21701
Or send by email to firstname.lastname@example.org