Volpe Scholars Program
The Volpe Scholars Program for undergraduate students recognizes the value of experiential learning as a building block for leadership, particularly through internships, study abroad, research opportunities and unique programs at colleges or universities.
The Volpe Scholars provides students with stipends that can be used year round, nationally or internationally. Awards are based on academic achievement, future goals and the nature of the internship, study abroad, research opportunity or unique program.
In honor of Hood’s 10th president, Ronald J. Volpe, Ph.D., the Hood College Board of Trustees, in conjunction with the Hood College Board of Associates, established the Volpe Scholars Program.
Complete the application and submit this along with all associated documents to the Hood College Career Center, 2nd Floor Apple Building. For more information, contact Dr. Lisa Littlefield, Dean of the Center for Experiential Education and Career Development, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Semester of Application Date Range of Project Deadline for Application
Summer 2021 May – August March 19, 2021
Fall 2021 August – December July 16, 2021
Spring 2022 January – May November 19, 2021
Please note the following eligibility requirements and stipulations of the Volpe Scholar program.
- Students may not apply to use the award for post-graduation experiences. Students must be currently enrolled as a full-time undergraduate student at Hood College and be in good academic standing. A student in their senior year at the college must use the award in a semester prior to graduation.
- The Volpe Scholar program is designed to support students pursuing exceptional high-impact experiences that go beyond the regular requirements or range of experiences expected within their degree program. The award may not be used to pay Hood College course tuition, for assigned course textbooks, on-campus housing fees, or college meal plans. Students may use the award to pay for tuition, housing, or food costs associated with special programs or opportunities offered by external educational entities or organizations.
- Awards must be used by the student to whom they are granted. Funding may not be used for other individuals and is not transferrable.
- Funding proposals for the Volpe Scholar award must fall between $5,000 and $10,000. Awards will not be made for requests below $5,000 or for those exceeding $10,000. If an award application is for partial funding of an experience, this should be explained in the initial proposal. If additional funding is being provided by a secondary scholarship, students should share this information in their application.
- If, for any reason, a student is not able to utilize an award made through the Volpe program in the originally proposed semester, the student must reapply for the award to be used in an alternate time period. The Volpe Scholar program is competitive, re-issuance of an award for an alternate semester is not guaranteed.
- Students who are under consideration for a Volpe Scholar award must participate in an interview with members of the award committee. The committee will want to hear details of the proposal, what makes it unique, and how it will advance the student's career or educational pursuits.
- Students who accept and use a Volpe Scholar award are required to participate in an annual event during which they will offer a short presentation to members of the Hood College community offering highlights of their experience. By accepting and using the award, the student also agrees to be featured in Hood College communications activities including, but not limited to, the Hood College magazine, college website, and social media venues.