CPT & OPT Information

If you are an F-1 student, you have the option of training in the United States by engaging in practical training during your program or after it ends. 

Practical training can provide valuable work experience by sharpening and adding to the skills you are learning in school.

There are two types of practical training available for F-1 students:

  • Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
  • Optional Practical Training (OPT)
  • CPT is integral to your major and the experience must be part of your program of study.
  • When you enroll at the graduate level, your designated school official (PDSO) may authorize CPT during your first semester if your program requires this type of experience. Ask your PDSO for details.
  • Your PDSO will provide you a new Form I-20,"Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status," that shows that the PDSO has approved you for this employment.
  • You can only work part-time on CPT during the semester. 
  • CPT requires a signed cooperative agreement or a letter from your employer. 
  • If you have 12 months or more of full-time CPT, you are ineligible for OPT. However, part-time CPT will not stop you from doing OPT.

NOTE: You must receive employment authorization for any paid or unpaid Curricular Practical Training from your PDSO before you report to your job/internship.

Apply for CPT

  • Letter from employer/institution indicating the following:
    • Job/internship title dates of employment
    • Number  of hours work per week
    • Place of employment/internship
    • Brief description of work
  • Letter from the department head indicating that the employment is required of all students in this major to complete the program. Letter should include the number of hours of work per week
  • Your employer or internship site may require you to have a social security number. To apply for a social security number please go to the Student Resources webpage
  • Hood CPT Form
  • Proof of enrollment in course that is connected to required employment
  • Please consult your DSO on how to apply and when to apply for CPT

Graduate Courses with CPT Courses

  • BMS 597
  • BIFX 579
  • ENV 591
  • ITMG 588 (IT/MIT)
  • CSIT 588 (CS/IT)
  • MGMT 597
  • HUM 597

The majority of these courses have variable credit options to accommodate work/class schedules and to allow student participation in multiple CPT experiences during degree progress.

OPT must relate to your major or course of study. 

  • You can apply for 12 months of OPT at each education level, (i.e., you may have 12 months of OPT at the bachelor’s level and another 12 months of OPT at the master’s level). 
  • Your DSO will provide you with a new Form I-20 that shows the DSO recommendation for this employment. 
  • For work authorization, you must mail a completed application for work authorization Form I-765,"Application for Employment Authorization," to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and pay a filing fee. USCIS will send you a Form I-766,"Employment Authorization Document," (EAD) upon approving your Form I-765. 

Wait to start work until after you receive your EAD. 

Apply for OPT

Once you receive a recommendation for post-completion OPT from your Designated School Official (DSO) to pursue OPT, you must apply for an employment authorization document (EAD) with USCIS within 30 days. Additionally, you may file up to 90 days prior to your program end-date and not later than 60 days after your program end date. More details can be found in the below mentioned links: 

24-Month STEM OPT Extension

All F-1 students who are currently on a regular period of OPT and are eligible for a STEM OPT extension must apply for the 24-month STEM OPT extension.

  • You may qualify for an additional 24 months of OPT under the following circumstances:
    • You are currently participating in a regular period of OPT.
    • You received a science, technology, engineering or mathematics (STEM) degree at an undergraduate level or higher and seek a training opportunity related to this degree. 
    • You received your qualifying STEM degree from a currently accredited SEVP-certified college or university.
    • The employer from which you are seeking employment uses the E-Verify program.
    • You and your prospective employer have completed and signed the Form I-983,"Training Plan for STEM OPT Students."
    • For more information about the specific eligibility requirements for the 24-month STEM OPT extension, please visit the STEM OPT Hub on Study in the States.
  • Once your DSO verifies that your Form I-983 is complete and keeps it in your student record, they will provide you with a new Form I-20 that shows their recommendation for this training opportunity.
  • You must apply for work authorization by filing Form I-765 with USCIS and paying a filing fee. USCIS will send you an EAD upon approving your petition.
  • You may continue to work on your expired EAD for OPT up to 180 days while your 24-month extension petition is pending if you meet the following conditions:
    • You are currently in a period of post-completion OPT.
    • You properly and in a timely manner filed your application for the 24-month extension with USCIS.
  • You must report changes in name, address, employer and loss of employment to your DSO within 10 days of any change.
  • For more information, visit the STEM OPT page of the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services website.

17-Month STEM OPT Extension

F-1 students are no longer eligible to apply for a 17-month STEM OPT extension; however, EADs issued for a 17-month STEM extension remain valid.