GradWell seeks to improve graduate student wellbeing and foster academic success at the Hood College Graduate School by providing education, facilitating access to health resources and fostering students' community connections. 


Whether you are a new or returning Hood student, the counseling services staff are SO glad you’re here!

We know you will find Hood to be a challenging, welcoming and diverse environment that offers innumerable opportunities for personal and academic growth. It is our mission to serve as an essential resource to all students to help you maximize benefit from both your academic experiences and out-of-class learning opportunities. 

Did you know?

There is no charge for students to talk with a counselor through the Hood College Counseling Center AND all students can receive up to 6 visits with a counselor per semester. See below to learn a little about the friendly faces you may see when visiting the Counseling Center and how to make an appointment. 

How to schedule an appointment?

Email HOODCOLLEGECOUNSELING@Frederick.Health or call 301-698-8374 press 1 and then select option 1 again. Counseling appointments can be made during the hours of operation; Monday-Thursday, 10a-6p and Fridays, 10a-12p while classes are in session. 

Additionally, walk in hours are Mondays & Wednesdays from 1-2p.

If you are experiencing a mental health emergency and are unable to reach the Counseling Center, please go to the nearest emergency room immediately.

There are many mental health providers in the Frederick community that provide services to Hood College graduate students. These services are not covered by Hood College, but most providers accept numerous insurance providers including Medicaid.

  • Advanced Behavioral Health (ABH) is located across from campus and can provide psychological and psychiatric services. ABH accepts insurance.
  • Thriving Campus is an online resource that allows individuals to search for mental health providers in the Frederick community. You can filter the list of providers by insurance accepted, gender, race or area of practice. 
  • The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMSA) helps to locate mental health and substance abuse providers across the United States.   

In Case of Emergency

Call 9-1-1 For emergency response

Call 211 A toll-free call to 211 connects you to a community resource specialist in your area who can put you in touch with local organizations that provide critical services that can improve—and save—lives. 211 can be accessed by phone or computer.

National crisis hotlines and online services:

  • National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-8255
  • The Trevor Project (LGBTQ Suicide Hotline): 1-866-488-7386
  • Trans Lifeline: 1-877-565-8860
  • Crisis Text Line: Text HOME to 741741
  • Crisis Text Line for Students of Color: Text STEVE to 741741