What is sexual misconduct?
Sexual Misconduct: Sexual misconduct, as defined in Hood's policies, is prohibited. Sexual misconduct is a broad term that encompasses sexual violence, nonconsensual sexual contact, sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual exploitation, sexual intimidation (including stalking or bullying that is prompted by sex), and relationship violence. This policy prohibits retaliation against anyone who files a complaint under this policy or who participates in any investigation into the circumstances of a complaint.
- Sexual misconduct can occur between strangers or acquaintances, including people involved in an intimate sexual relationship. Sexual misconduct can be committed by men or women and can occur between people of the same or different sex.
- Sexual misconduct may be forcible or non-forcible. When an act constituting sexual misconduct is committed either by force, threat, intimidation, or through the use of the victim’s mental or physical helplessness (of which the accused was aware or should have been aware) the act is considered forcible.
- Sexual misconduct may be a form of sex discrimination prohibited by federal and state discrimination laws, including Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act.
Help for victims of sexual assault/violence/misconduct
- Click here for the Collegewide policy on Prevention and Resolution of Discrimination, Harassment and Sexual Misconduct.
- Click here if you have been the victim of sexual misconduct and are seeking immediate ways to deal with your situation.
- Click here for a description of the rights, resources, and procedures available to victims of alleged sexual misconduct, and for assuring safety, reporting the incident (either in confidence, or to make a complaint to College authorities or law enforcement), and for help with moving forward.
Resources for alleged offenders/respondents
- Click here to see a list of your rights as a respondent, as well as to see a list of the resources that are available to help you.