Hood College Students - The Right Choice for Internships & Employment
The Career Center hosts a robust schedule of career fairs and events for employers to meet our students and alumni from a variety of undergraduate majors and graduate programs. Click here to see a list of events and register to attend.
Do you have an open internship or employment opportunity? We want to work with you! Contact Maura M. Page, M.A.'17, Assistant Director of Employer Relations, (301) 696-3583, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Register your company and post available internships and jobs in Handshake.
- Lunch Hour Recruitment (LHR) -- Tuesday through Thursday, Whitaker Atrium from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. or Coblentz Dining Hall from 12:30 - 2:00 p.m. LHR is an informal informational table where students can stop by to speak with company/organization representatives to get information about internships and other positions available.
- Lunch and Learn Information Sessions -- Tuesdays or Thursdays during Common Hour (12:45-2 p.m.), Career Center. Organizations and companies offer presentations to inform students about employment and internship opportunities during the lunch hour.
- On-Campus Recruitment (OCR) -- Held throughout the semester, allows employers to select student candidates for one-on-one interviews. Students apply for advertised positions and, if selected by the company, are interviewed at an on-campus location.
- Career Treks -- The Career Trek program provides students a unique opportunity to explore career paths and industries in a proactive, in-person manner. This program brings small groups of students to off-campus professional settings to increase their industry and career knowledge with the "behind the scenes" experience at various companies and organizations.
- How to Create a User Account and Company Page in Handshake
- How to Post a Job or Internship in Handshake
- How to Register for a Fair or Event in Handshake
- Let us partner with you to connect with our talented student interns. Learn more about employer and student responsibilities in our Internship Guide.
- Have an open internship? Register and post opportunities at no charge to employers in Handshake.
Bringing our students to your location. Career Treks consist of a tour, an overview of the company/organization, and an opportunity to hear from current employees about their roles. Students appreciate genuine conversations about employees’ daily responsibilities and their personal career journies. Common discussions revolve around employees’ initial interest in the company, the industry, and their own job search.
This program is a great way to increase awareness of internships or full-time roles students might pursue.
Sample Career Trek Timeline:
- 10:00 a.m. – Students Arrive at the Location
- 10:00 a.m. – 10:30 a.m. – Tour of Facilities
- 10:30 a.m. – 11:15 a.m. – Panel with Leadership, Alumni & Employees
- 11:15 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. – Networking and Reception with Staff
Who attends Career Treks? Students, Career Center staff, and faculty members may attend a Career Trek.
I only want to invite a very specific subset of students. Is this a possibility? We will work with you to ensure that your Career Trek is marketed to students you would like to target by academic majors or class levels. The online registration in Handshake can be set to only allows students of specific populations to view and to RSVP to the event.
Do I need to market the event to students? Leave that to us! The Career Center will take care of marketing your event, including follow-up communication.
How many students typically attend Career Treks? This will depend on the industry of the host company/organization. A minimum of five students per Career Trek is preferred, and registration can be capped based on your site limits.
How do students register? Students register online via Handshake.
Do I need to provide anything for the students? Nothing is required, but students value any recruitment materials you have, any company “swag” and/or light refreshments are always appreciated while visiting your facilities.
Are you ready to say Hello?
Choose a Pathway
Information will vary based on program level. Select a path to find the information you're looking for!