Tuition & Fees
At Hood, we understand the cost of pursuing an advanced degree can be expensive. We have done our best over the years to keep costs down and make education affordable. We offer some of the lowest prices for a graduate degree in Maryland while improving the delivery of our education and the student's experience in the classroom. After graduation, our students re-emerge into the workforce with a new energy to make a difference not only in their own lives, but in the lives of others.
* Program costs listed below are for the upcoming 2021-2022 academic year which begins in fall 2021.
Hood College Tuition Payment Plan
The Tuition Payment Plan allows students to pay a semester's tuition and fees over a four- or five-month period. Monthly payments are deducted from a checking or savings account or by credit card.
Recent Hood undergraduate alums - who graduated with a bachelor's degree in the last three academic years - are welcomed back to campus or online to pursue a Hood graduate degree to hone their workplace skills for today's competitive job market. Recent alumni benefits include:
- Last three graduate credits at no cost.
- Undergraduate credits applied to master's degrees (based on major and graduate degree).
- Expedited graduate admission decision for recent undergraduate alumni.
- Graduate application fee waived
Hood College provides services to veterans and dependents of veterans eligible for veterans' educational benefits, including the Yellow Ribbon Scholarship Program. Information about veterans' benefits is available through the Office of Financial Aid.
The NeighborHOOD program provides tuition benefits to full-time employees of partner organizations and their dependents:
- City of Frederick
- Frederick County Public Schools
- Frederick County Government
- Frederick Health
- Frederick National Laboratory for Cancer Research
Benefits include an annual tuition discount of up to $15,000 for undergraduate and up to $1,000 for graduate students. For graduate students, this means up to $500 tuition discount available in the fall, and up to $500 tuition discount available in the spring.
For more information visit our NeighborHOOD partners website.
Demonstrate you have access to *$32,000 per academic year to support your studies, live, and travel. If you require a dependent (F-2) I-20, please certify an additional $7,500 for each dependent such as a spouse or child under the age of 21. A dependent is generally considered a spouse or child.
* Please note that the doctoral F1 admits will need to show $54,000, and counseling F1 admits will need to show $42,000. Dependent rate ($7,500) is the same, regardless of the degree.
Send the following items to receive an I-20 for your F-2 dependent
- Copy of the dependent’s passport
- Copy of the marriage certificate if the I-20 is for a spouse or copy of birth certificate(s) if the I-20 is for a child or children under the age of 21.
- Original financial document such as a bank statement showing an additional yearly amount of $7, 000 for each dependent. Depending on the primary source of funding for the F1 student, these funds may need to come from the F1’s own sources. Upon receipt of these documents, the Office of International Student Services will issue an I-20 document for each dependent and a new I-20 document for the F-1 student. The student is the signatory for the dependent(s) I-20. The dependent will use the I-20 document to apply for an F-2 visa.
- Scholarship documents showing your financial guarantee (if you are being supported by a scholarship). If you are a SACM student, you would need a valid financial guarantee letter.
- If you have a sponsor who will support your education, you will need to complete the affidavit of support and provide bank statements as discussed previously
- Please upload the copy of financial documents as part of complete your I-20 application
Tuition (August to May)
Tuition Fees Per Credit (X 18 Credits)
Semester Comprehensive Fees
Total Credits 30 - 36
One class is typically 3 credits. A student pursuing any of the degrees below will be charged $490 per credit. If a student takes 6 classes during the academic year (August to May) it would equal 18 credits at a total cost of $8,820 for tuition only. The total tuition costs for the program excluding semester comprehensive fees is typically $14,700 to $17,640.
- Ceramics (Certificate, MA, or MFA) - MFA is 60 credits
- Curriculum & Instruction (MS)
- EAP 500 course (3 credits)
- Educational Leadership (Certificate and MS) *see below for cohort fees
- Elementary STEM Education (Certificate)
- Environmental Biology (MS)
- Geographic Information Systems (Certificate)
- Humanities (MA)
- Interdisciplinary Studies Human Behavior (MA)
- Math Education (MS)
- Mathematics Instructional Leadership (MS)
- Reading Specialization (MS)
- Multidisciplinary Studies (MS)
- Thanatology (Certificate)