Student Learning Outcomes
At Hood College, we are committed to teaching excellence. Program goals and learning outcomes identify what we expect students to learn, think critically about and accomplish in their courses and programs of study at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. We believe an integrated learning approach that combines a strong grounding in the liberal arts with advanced study in the major and opportunities for internships and research initiatives is the best way to prepare students for lives of purpose and civic engagement.
Graduates earning a bachelor’s degree in History from Hood College:
1. Develop an understanding of a range of historical periods and geographical areas:
- Through papers, short-answer questions on exams, identification questions on exams, or exam essays, students will demonstrate familiarity with the key vocabulary, facts, and concepts of the relevant region(s) and time period for the course.
2. Learn and employ the standard methodologies of the historical profession:
- Students will identify and analyze primary sources.
- Students will analyze and make historical arguments.
- Students will carry out historical research.
- Students will write reflectively on a planned exercise in experiential learning.
Graduates earning a master's degree in humanities from Hood College:
1. Synthesize in-depth information from relevant sources representing various points of view on a particular subject/field through:
- Identifying and critically engaging relevant scholarship on a topic, and
- Developing a clear research-based questions and thesis.
2. Develop research skills needed to construct and answer analytical questions through:
- Structuring an organized research design;
- Constructing an argument; and
- Supporting the conclusion with evidence.
3. Demonstrate writing skills through:
- Arranging an organized, final document specific to the audience and purpose of the research project;
- Applying grammatical and stylistic rigor; and
- Citing evidence appropriately using the acceptable style.