Student Learning Outcomes
At Hood College, we are committed to teaching excellence. Program goals and learning outcomes identify what we expect students to learn, think critically about and accomplish in their courses and programs of study at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. We believe an integrated learning approach that combines a strong grounding in the liberal arts with advanced study in the major and opportunities for internships and research initiatives is the best way to prepare students for lives of purpose and civic engagement.
Graduates earning a bachelor’s degree in music from Hood College:
- Demonstrate specific knowledge in music theory and music history through:
- Analyzing a written musical score, and
- Composing a brief passage.
- Perform using instrument or voice with technical proficiency and appropriate artistry to perform a variety of appropriate repertoire as a soloist of ensemble performer through:
- Performing advanced techniques of the vocal instrument;
- Performing advanced techniques of a chosen instrument expanding knowledge of the instrument repertoire; and
- Demonstrating the development of ear training for greater listening skills.
- Demonstrate the ability to think, speak, and write clearly and effectively about the art of music through a series of research-based activities through:
- Assembling a research assignment using peer-reviewed sources and accurate APA, MLA or Chicago formatting and documentation criteria on a musical topic, and
- Delivering a formal oral presentation on the influence that music played during a historical period or social movement in the western culture.
- Demonstrate proficiency in the use of technologies available for music notation, composition, documentation and analysis through:
- Using music industry standard software for music notation and research, and
- Mastering a general word processing program through written assignments.
- Demonstrating proficiency in the use of a piano through:
- Playing all major/minor scales and primary chords in all keys;
- Playing an intermediate piece;
- Playing a quick movement piece; and
- Sight-reading a choral or easy piano piece.
Are you ready to say Hello?
Choose a Pathway
Information will vary based on program level. Select a path to find the information you're looking for!