Complaints-Grievance Policy

Hood College is committed to equal opportunity that assures access, equity and diversity.

Hood College prohibits discrimination against any person on the basis of age, color, citizenship status, current or former military status, disability, gender, gender identity and expression, genetic information, national origin, marital status, race, religion, sex or sexual orientation. The College is committed to providing an environment in which all persons are provided the opportunity for employment and/or participation in academic programs, and other College activities free from any form of harassment as prohibited by federal regulations and state laws.

Any college student who believes that he or she has been subjected to discrimination on the basis of disability, or has been denied access or accommodations required by law shall have the right to invoke the Grievance Procedure.

Students are encouraged to discuss disability-related concerns with the Office of Accessibility Services (OAS) first. The OAS office will attempt to resolve issues by assisting the student in discussing concerns with the faculty member, department chair, or program director. If a satisfactory resolution is not reached by this process, the student may contact the Dean of Student Success.

The informal grievance process can involve a meeting, but it is also recommended to address the grievance in writing.  The informal grievance should be initiated as soon as possible so that the situation can be addressed immediately. All informal grievances should be brought to the Office of Accessibility Services and/or the Dean of Student Success before the completion of the semester.

You are encouraged to contact the Ombudsperson if...

  • You have a concern about any aspect of your academic life, work life, or student life at the College.
  • You are unsure about the policies, rights, procedures, and responsibilities that apply to your situation. The Ombudsperson may be able to provide confidential guidance and support.
  • You need a sounding board to help you generate options and/or solutions to an issue or a challenge you face.
  • You feel that your studies, interpersonal relationships, or work life, have been adversely affected by the conduct or behavior of another person and you would like help in resolving this issue or these circumstances.
  • You need someone to facilitate communication between yourself and another member of the College community.

The Ombuds person will do her utmost to help.

How do I contact the Ombudsperson?

There are two ways for you to contact Hood's Ombudsperson, Jolene Sanders, Associate Professor of Sociology.

  1. Confidential Telephone: Please call 301-696-3295, Monday through Friday, and leave a message (the call may go directly to voice mail); the Ombudsperson checks the voicemail at least daily, and she will call you back.
  2. Email: You may send email at any time, but please allow up to 24 hours for a response.