Emergency Procedures & Prevention
The Office of Campus Safety strives to deter and detect crime, suspicious activity and dangerous situations before they develop into emergencies. In the event of an emergency, however, campus safety will follow emergency procedures and guidelines in order to ensure the safety and security of the campus community.
Remember, a safer campus begins with you.
Please review these safety guides, sign up for the Hood Alert and become familiar with the locations of the emergency phones on campus.
Emergency Notification System
Hood Alert, the campus emergency notification system, gives college administration and security professionals the ability to reach participating students, faculty, staff, parents and others with time-sensitive information during unforeseen events or emergencies.
This system uses voice, email and text messaging. During critical situations, Hood College officials can use the system to broadcast pertinent information and provide instructions as appropriate.
The information you provide will not be shared with other entities and it will be kept confidential. The Hood Alert is used only for Hood College emergency communication purposes, including weather-related delays or cancellations.
If you have any questions about this system, please contact the campus safety at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-696-3548.
Use the appropriate link below to sign up for Hood Alert:
There are 17 outdoor emergency blue light phones on campus, located at:
- Whitaker Campus Center parking lot
- Behind Alumnae House
- South entrance to Coffman Chapel parking lot
- Between the athletic field and the athletic complex
- North of the aquatic center
- North side of the Volpe Athletic Center parking lot
- South side of the observatory
- South side of the Pergola
- Sidewalk between Smith and Alumnae Hall
- South side of Memorial Hall
- South side of Meyran Hall
- Northwest corner of Gambrill Gym
- Southwest corner of Gambrill Gym
- Between Alumnae Hall and Shriner Hall
- Northeast corner of Hodson Science and Technology Center
- Northwest corner of Hodson Annex
- Northeast corner of Kiln Pavilion
In addition, each residence hall has a call box at the main entrance as well as red emergency phones on each floor. These are direct phones to the Campus Communications Center, which is monitored 24 hours a day.