About Services & Accommodations

Hood College seeks to provide equal educational opportunities for qualified students with disabilities. We are committed to compliance with Section 504 and Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), and other relevant state and federal legislation.

The Office of Accessibility Services (OAS) works with faculty, staff and students to provide appropriate accommodations so that students have an equal opportunity to participate inside the classroom, in the residence halls, and in college programs and activities.

This page is under construction. 

Please reach out to accessibilityservices@hood.edu for more information.

Hood College evaluates requests for academic accommodations on an individual basis. Appropriate documentation will help the student to better understand his/her needs in a higher education setting and will assist the student and the Office of Accessibility Services in making informed decisions about accommodations. To support your request for accommodations, please review our Guidelines for Documentation. An Individualized Education Plan (IEP), 504 Plan, high school learning profile or support plan, or medical recommendations do not guarantee all requested academic accommodations will be approved. 

All students who complete the request for accommodations and submit documentation will be contacted via email (Hood email only once accepted and enrolled) to verify receipt of materials. The Office of Accessibility Services may also request that you set up a follow-up phone call if further information or clarification is needed before you arrive on campus.

Academic Accommodations can include (but are not limited to): 

  • alternative testing arrangements 
  • extended time on tests 
  • ASL interpreters / CART services
  • access to course notes; Glean notetaking
  • alternative texts / accessible documents
  • low vision magnifying equipment 
  • voice recognition software, Speech-to-text
  • Kurzweil reading system, Text-to-speech 

Submission Information:

In order to ensure that you receive appropriate accommodations, you must submit your housing accommodation request form by the deadline below.  After the deadline dates (which allows for documentation review and communication with care providers), the standard housing assignments process will take place; so it is critical for housing accommodation requests to be submitted by the deadline. This deadline was established to provide the Housing Accommodation Committee with sufficient time to review requests and for consideration to be given to specific housing-related needs before the room assignment process for all students takes place.

If you have a need for a housing accommodation which arises for the first time after the deadline, email accessibilityservices@hood.edu to make it known that you will be submitting a post-deadline request. The Housing Accommodation Committee will strive to determine and, for those deemed eligible, meet newly arising needs for housing accommodations as soon as reasonably possible given the limited availability of housing options following the assignment process. If accommodated housing is granted, but unavailable, the student will be placed on a waitlist until such housing becomes available.

If you wish to seek a housing accommodation request for subsequent semesters, we urge you to take note of the guidance, notification information, and deadlines posted on the Hood College website. All approved housing accommodations must be reapplied for the next academic year and updated medical documentation may be requested.

All approved housing accommodations must be reapplied for the next academic year and updated medical documentation may be requested.

The residential experience is an integral part of a Hood College education, and the College is committed to the full participation of students with disabilities in all aspects of college life, including residential life.

Students who seek housing accommodations based on their disability must complete the forms below, and provide appropriate supporting documentation from a health care professional to demonstrate the need for the accommodation requested.

Housing accommodations are reserved for individuals whose documentation illustrates clear and substantial needs for a particular living environment or location. The Housing Accommodation Committee will review all requests and documentation provided on a case-by-case basis.

If a student seeks accommodations related to more than one disability, more than one professional may need to be involved in providing documentation.  Students who are unsure about the type(s) of documentation needed should consult with the Office of Accessibility Services.

While housing accommodations can be requested at any time, the Office of Accessibility Services cannot guarantee the request can be met due to room availability, especially if the request is made after the start of a semester. If a requested housing accommodation cannot be met at the time of the request, the student will be requested to meet with the Office of Accessibility Services and Residence Life to determine if an alternative reasonable accommodation may be provided.

Hood College does not discriminate in the provision of housing to students with disabilities. The College will provide comparable, convenient, and accessible housing to students with disabilities at the same cost as to others, and the College will make reasonable modifications to its housing policies, procedures, and practices when the modifications are necessary to avoid discrimination, unless the College can demonstrate that making the modifications would fundamentally alter the nature of the housing services provided by the College.


If you have an injury or medical condition that is temporarily interfering with your ability to participate in Hood College’s educational program, the Office of Accessibility Services (OAS) can provide assistance. Depending on the nature of your impairment, you may need accommodations inside and outside of the classroom.


If you are a student who is experiencing a temporary disability, your first step is to contact the Office of Accessibility Services, provide OAS with documentation from your health care provider, including information on your functional limitations and the expected duration of the impairment. OAS will assist you in communicating with your professors or residential life to receive appropriate accommodations.

Some Available Services

Accommodations are generally limited to obtaining copies of class notes, use of assistive technology, residential accommodations, and use of the testing center (not extended time).

Assistive Technology

Individuals with temporary disabilities may benefit from utilizing assistive technologies and/or auxiliary aids. Such technologies/aids can assist individuals who temporarily cannot write or need audio-recordings of lectures.


OAS cannot officially excuse absences but can provide written verification of a disability to faculty members. This verification may address the legitimacy of an absence, but not necessarily excuse it. Professors work with students to make reasonable accommodations, but students should recognize that each course and each professor will have varying expectations as to how the requirements for their respective courses must be met.


If you are temporarily in need of special parking accommodation, requests for accommodations in this area should be made to OAS, which can work with Campus Safety to provide an appropriate accommodation.

Disability accommodations may not be available in all countries and programs, and arranging for accommodations frequently takes longer when working with an institution or program located outside of the United States. Therefore you are encouraged to discuss your need for accommodations in your study abroad program with the Office of Accessibility Services (AccessibilityServices@hood.edu; 301-696-3421) as soon as possible.