Graduate Students

The transition to online instruction for the duration of the spring semester has been a daunting task for both students and faculty. Given the uncertainty and stress resulting from this pandemic response, I am pleased to announce a temporary change in the graduate school policies governing satisfactory/unsatisfactory (S/U) designation and incomplete grades (INC) for graduate students.

For all spring 2020 classes, graduate students will have the option to select a Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U) grade scale in lieu of Hood College’s usual grading scale.  However, please note that this temporary option excludes our accredited programs (i.e., MBA and counseling), in addition to those graduate students who receive employer reimbursements or utilize direct pay (e.g., most public school systems, some biotech companies).  To confirm if this temporary option is right for you, be sure to check with your program director and/or your employer prior to submitting the S/U request per the below instructions.

Credits for satisfactory completion will apply toward both prerequisite and graduation criteria, but not GPA. Your decision to opt for the S/U grading scale can be made any time before Friday, May 1, 2020. Hood transcripts will acknowledge that S/U courses in spring 2020 may have been undertaken by students in response to circumstances beyond their control. A grade of S is equivalent to a 72% (C grade) or higher. Students who opt for the S/U grading, must complete the Graduate S/U Grade Change Declaration Form by May 1, 2020.  The completed form can be emailed to, copying your academic advisor.

Please note: Some courses (theses, field work, and research projects) already use the S/U grading scale.

At their discretion, faculty may award an incomplete (INC) to any graduate student for any reason in spring 2020, provided the student earned a midterm grade of C- or higher. The deadline for students to request faculty approval for an INC is extended to May 15, 2020.  The Incomplete Grade form is found here and should be submitted to by May 15.

Before making any final decisions regarding spring classes, you are required to consult with your academic advisor or program director.  Individual situations may require special consideration, and it is important to make a well-informed decision.  Should you have any questions, please contact your program director.

Students can access all other graduate student forms on our Forms and Guidelines webpage: (



Graduate S/U Grade Change Declaration form

Please download fillable PDF form, save and email copy to your advisor and the registrar's office ( Emailed approval from the advisor will be accepted. 

Registrar's Office will contact you via your Hood College email address once the request has been reviewed and processed. Instructors will be notified of the grade change as well.