Mobile E-Mail @ Hood
Note: Hood College recommends using the Outlook app for iOS and Android devices. However, we do provide basic guidelines/instructions on connecting to Hood's email infrastructure. Should you need further assistance, please contact the Hood Helpdesk at 301-696-3622 (firstname.lastname@example.org)
You can set up your mobile phone to access your email, calendar information, contacts, and tasks. If your mobile phone or device supports Exchange ActiveSync (also referred to as "Exchange" or Exchange Email"), POP3, and IMAP4, you can choose which type of account to set up. The preferred method to access your email at Hood is Exchange ActiveSync which is designed to synchronize email, calendar, contact, task, and other information. POP3 and IMAP4 connections are available but are designed to send and receive email messages only. Most smart phone operating systems allow for Exchange ActiveSync.
Hood O365 Mobile Email
Students, Faculty & Staff at Hood use Microsoft's Office 365 as their mail system. Listed below are the basic credentials needed to setup Hood's email on your computer or mobile device. Should you need further assistance, please contact the Hood Helpdesk at 301-696-3622 (email@example.com).
Basic mobile setup information
|• Server name||m.outlook.com or outlook.office365.com|
|• User Name||<Hood ID>@hood.edu|
|• User id||<Hood ID>@hood.edu|
|• Password||Hood password|
|• Use ssl||Required|
Tip #1: Use "outlook.office365.com" or "portal.office.com" or "m.outlook.com" as your email server
Tip #2: Always use your full email address when asked for "user" name or ID
Click on image(s) below to open/save on your device
Note: There are many different versions of Android. We document the base version released by Google, so your device might have a slightly different set of fields. The latest Android OS does not include an Email app. We suggest users should set up either Outlook or Gmail if using a newer device or OS.
- Tap Settings.
- Tap Accounts.
- Tap Add Account.
- Tap Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync or Corporate.
- Enter your Email address and Password.
- If you see a Domain\Username field, enter your full email address.
Note: If Domain and Username are separate fields, enter your full email address in Username, and leave Domain blank.
- If you see a Server field, enter outlook.office365.com.
- Tap Next.
- To complete auto configuration, tap Ok.
- Select the Account options you want to use. Selecting a longer sync period will show you more calendar information and email, and require more memory.
- Tap Next.
- Tap Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync, to see the display name for your email account. You can change the display name, here.
- Tap Next, and you will see your inbox.
Your Office 365 email is now set up in your Android native mail app. To make sure you can send messages, compose an email and send it to yourself.
iPhone/iPad - iOS 11 & later
Note: Earlier iOS versions listed below
- From the Home screen go to Settings > Accounts & Passwords > Add Account.
- Select the option for Exchange.
- Enter the following information and then tap Next.
- Email: your <Hood User Name>@hood.edu
- Description: Exchange is entered automatically (you can change this if you wish).
- When prompted how to sign in to your Exchange account, tap Configure Manually.
- Enter the your Hood password and then tap Next
- Enter the following and then tap Next.
- Server: outlook.office365.com
- Domain: leave blank
- Username: your <Hood User Name>@hood.edu
- Turn the options to ON for the areas you'd like to sync (Mail, Contacts, Calendars, Reminders, Notes) and then tap Save.
- Your Exchange account now appears in Accounts & Passwords. Tap Exchange (or the name of your Exchange account) to view the account settings.
- Important: Adjust the Mail Days to Sync according to your preferences. This setting means that only messages received within the time frame you select appear in any of your folders.
- Tap your Account email address to view your Exchange account settings.
- Tap Advanced Settings and verify that Use SSL is turned ON. Tap Done.
Your iPhone or iPad should automatically send and receive mail from your Office 365 account as well as sync to the Office 365 Contacts and Calendar.
iPhone/iPad - iOS 10 & earlier
- From the Home screen go to Settings > Mail, Contact, Calendars > Add Account.
- On the Add Account screen, touch the icon for Exchange.
- On the initial Exchange configuration screen, please enter the following information, and then touch Next.
- Email: Your @hood.edu email address
- Password: Your Hood password
- Description: An account description (ie: Hood Email)
- The Exchange app configuration screen will appear. The iPhone supports the synchronization of Mail, Contacts, Calendar, Reminders and Notesby default they are all enabled (green). You have the ability to selectively disable or enable any of these features by changing On to Off. Then touch Save.
If your email client supports POP and IMAP, you can choose from several different POP and IMAP email programs to connect to your account. The features supported by each email program vary. For information about the features offered by specific POP and IMAP email programs, see the documentation that's included with each program. If your email program supports exchange accounts (for example, Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Entourage, or Apple mail for mac), we recommend that you set up an Exchange connection to your account rather than a POP or IMAP connection. Exchange connections support more features than POP or IMAP connections.
For a list of the major email clients and their instructions, plus general setup information, click here.
To find your server settings, sign in to your Hood email account using Outlook web app. After you sign in, click options > See all options > Account > My account > Settings for POP, IMAP, and SMTP access. The POP3, IMAP4, and SMTP server name and other settings you may need to enter are listed on the protocol settings page under POP setting or IMAP setting, and SMTP setting.