Frequently Asked Questions

There is no minimum number of credits required to be considered a transfer student. If you enrolled at any college or university after graduating from high school, you should apply using the transfer application.

Hood College will accept a maximum of 62 credits for first-year and sophomore-level work completed elsewhere. Although there is no limit for junior and senior-level coursework, students will be awarded no more than a total of 94 credits for all college-level work completed. Students must complete their last 30 credits at Hood College.

You will be awarded transfer credit for any course in which you earned a C- or above that is applicable to a bachelor's degree. 

Once you have been accepted to Hood College and submitted your enrollment deposit, you will receive an official credit evaluation from the registrar. This evaluation is major-specific so that you know exactly which classes you will need to take in order to graduate from Hood.  

If you would like to request an unofficial credit evaluation prior to submitting your application, please email

Hood College does have an interdisciplinary core curriculum that is required for graduation. However, students who are transferring to Hood with an AA, AS, or AAT from an accredited Maryland community college will be exempt from the core requirements (with the exception of a global perspectives course, which is required of all Hood students). 

Yes! All transfer students who are completing their first bachelor's degree will be considered for scholarship eligibility at the time of admission, based largely on prior academic performance. Students must enroll full-time at Hood to be eligible for merit scholarships. For more information about financial aid, click here.

Yes. If you have already completed a bachelor’s degree, you will be considered a transfer student when applying to Hood. We will apply as many of your credits as possible (maximum 94) toward your Hood degree. 

Students who graduated from Hood College and are interested in completing a second degree will receive a 50 percent discount on tuition through the Encore Program. 

In most cases, no—you can re-enroll by contacting the registrar at 301-696-3616. If you are unsure about your next step, please contact the admission office at 301-696-3400.