Use of Student Learning Evidence
Using assessment data, Core areas at Hood College develop action plans to continue strengths and improve weaknesses.
View examples of how Core areas have used student learning evidence to improve learning and enhance the achievement of Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs):
- English Composition (EC): ENG 100 has seen an increase in student learning achievement in four out of the five EC outcomes since Fall 2018. EC is now focusing on improving the achievement of SLO 5, “Cites sources accurately and in current MLA style,” by emphasizing MLA instruction and citations.
- First Year Seminar (FYS): FYS created standard assignments and rubrics to align with two of the three outcomes, enhancing curriculum consistency across sections. FYS aims to create another standard assignment for the remaining SLO.
- Global Perspectives (GP): GP instructors determined that former SLO 3a, “Uses appropriate visual communication to convey information about global studies,” focused more on a competency (skill) rather than a content area and was difficult to assess. Therefore, GP removed the outcome, enabling instructors to focus more resources toward the remaining outcomes.
- Health & Wellness (HW): Physical Education instructors were challenged to assess the previous set of outcomes that were geared toward traditional classroom courses. The outcomes were revised to be more inclusive of the wide variety of HW courses.
- Quantitative Analysis (QL): Over 80% of students achieved proficient or advanced in all five QL outcomes since Fall 2018. To increase the consistency of student achievements between QL courses, instructors reviewed existing standard rubrics and assignments.
- Philosophical Inquiry (Phil Inq.): PI used student learning data to determine that additional emphasis should be placed on values and ethical inquiry. Thus, PI adjusted the standard rubric to clarify learning expectations and enhance consistency with the Association of American Colleges and Universities (AACU) rubrics.
- Scientific Thought (ST): ST instructors have found strong student performance among all learning outcomes since Fall 2018. Challenges associated with achieving SLO 3b in particular, “shows proficiency in analyzing data and in drawing the appropriate conclusions in the scientific approach to problem solving,” were addressed by reviewing assignments, rubrics, and curriculum relating the outcome.
Are you ready to say Hello?
Choose a Pathway
Information will vary based on program level. Select a path to find the information you're looking for!