During Thanksgiving, winter, and spring breaks, the six residence halls close and students must depart. Prior to the halls closing, students must prepare their room to be inspected.
To stay for all or a portion of the break, electronically submit the Break Housing Form (link is below in the break details), and your student account will be charged $30 per day. The following students are eligible for a waiver of the break housing fee:
- Student teachers/interns doing internships during the break which is required for their major (email internship documentation to firstname.lastname@example.org)
- International students
- Students with a home address more than 1,000 miles away - applicable only for Thanksgiving break
- Resident Assistants
- Students participating in a Hood-sponsored community service program
- 7th Street Duplexes
In-season student-athletes required by their coach to remain during the break do not need to complete the form. Athletics will provide Residence Life staff with an approved list of names and dates. In this situation, student-athletes are not charged for break housing. These athletes need to complete the form only if needing to stay for dates not required by their coach.
Though the 7th Street Duplexes are open during the breaks, these residents must complete the break housing form so college staff are aware of the presence of residents in case there is an emergency.
Before departing for the break, prepare your room as follows:
- Empty all trash and remove all opened perishable food (to avoid attracting pests).
- To help safeguard against damage to personal property in case of a maintenance emergency, remove all electronics and other valuables from the floor of your room.
- Unplug all appliances, clocks, computers, stereos, window air conditioner units, etc. Everything must be unplugged except your mini-fridge.
- Remove batteries from alarm clocks so they do not sound.
- Close all windows and blinds.
- Turn off the lights and lock the room door as you leave.
All residence hall rooms will be visited at the beginning of each break by Resident Assistants (RAs) for health, maintenance and safety inspections and to ensure the bulleted list above was completed. These are done to ensure compliance with college policy and safety regulations. Hood College takes safety very seriously, and students are expected to do the same. During the inspection, two RAs will survey the entire room to ensure it is safe and ready for the break period. Typically, it takes less than a few minutes.
Be sure to review policies in the Student Handbook. Residence Life always has two people conduct these inspections so no one is in your room alone, and a notice is left so you know they were there. The campus and county fire marshals also inspect rooms over winter break.
During the break periods, all residence hall policies and procedures will remain in effect, as are other college policies outlined in the Student Handbook.
Alcohol possession and/or use by students is not permitted in college residential facilities (including leased facilities) when regular classes are not in session, including during these break periods. Any student who is found in violation of this policy will receive a sanction and may be in jeopardy of automatic suspension or dismissal from the College. Restrictions on alcohol possession and use in non-residential buildings and public areas of the campus, also remain in effect.
Guests are not permitted into the building or rooms while the residence halls are closed.
Students remaining during the break are responsible for their meals as the dining hall is not open.
Campus Safety staff are present during break periods, but everyone needs to do their part to assist in the effort to ensure their own safety. Students must take the following precautions to help ensure the safety and security of themselves and their personal belongings:
- Lock their residential doors at all times.
- Walk with someone whenever possible or call Campus Safety at 301-696-3548 for an escort.
- Call Campus Safety to report any suspicious persons, concerns or problems.
The residence halls will close at noon on Wednesday, November 23, 2022 and will reopen at 9 a.m. on Sunday, November 27, 2022.
Thanksgiving break housing forms are due by Friday, November 18, 2022.
Click here to access the Thanksgiving break form.
Residence halls close at noon on Wednesday, December 14, 2022 and will reopen at 9 a.m. on Saturday, January 21, 2023.
Winter break housing forms are due by Friday, December 9, 2022.
Click here for the Winter break housing form
Residence halls close at 8pm, Friday, March 10, 2023 and reopen at 9 a.m. on Sunday, March 19, 2023. Spring break housing forms are due Friday, March 3, 2023.
Click here for the spring break housing form.