Resources for Current Residents

Submitting a Needed Service Request to Hood College Facilities Office

  • Go to Hood College’s website and click on Information for Current Students
  • Under ApLinks, click Facilities work order
  • Enter your information, including your mobile phone number, Hood email address, room number and the detailed issue
  • As long as you keep the “Notify Me” box checked, you will receive communication regarding the request throughout the completion process.


Click here for a video tutorial of work order submission. You are encouraged to contact the facilities office by emailing to follow up on a service request work order. 

If needing to bring an important matter to the attention of residence life staff, you are encouraged to communicate with your resident assistant or assistant director. Maintenance issues are taken seriously. Staff want to support residents and advocate on their behalf if there is a facility issue which has been reported but is not addressed timely.

Please note: Cable and Internet issues should be reported to the Hood IT HelpDesk.