Coblentz-Memorial Hall Updates
Thank you in advance for your patience and flexibility with the delayed opening of Memorial Hall. Please refer to this webpage for the latest updates, including helpful FAQ and contact information.
View a recording of the Memorial Hall Updates Webinar here.
Whenever you have questions or concerns, please reach out to residence life staff.
Office of Residence Life
Whitaker Campus Center, 221
August 2, 2023
We have uploaded floor plans for Coblentz-Memorial Hall as well as a mock-up of dorm room furniture. Please select the "Coblentz-Memorial Hall Floor Plans" menu below to access these files.
July 27, 2023
The FAQ section has been updated based on inquiries made during the virtual Town Hall meeting. Please refer to the FAQ to see new questions and answers. If you have a question that is not addressed in the FAQ, do not hesitate to contact residence life staff.
July 13, 2023
A recording of the virtual Town Hall meeting is available to view here.
You will be receiving an email to your @hood.edu address that will include a temporary housing preferences survey. Please complete and submit the survey by the deadline to allow for a smooth transition. A link to the updates webpage and Town Hall recording will also be provided.
Starting Friday, July 14, residence life staff will begin contacting individual students by phone to discuss their temporary housing preferences and solidify plans for the fall semester. All students will have temporary housing assigned no later than July 31, 2023.
July 7, 2023
Thank you for your continued patience as we work to resolve the delayed opening of Coblentz-Memorial Hall. The Hood College Office of Residence Life invites you to a virtual Town Hall meeting on Wednesday, July 12, 4 p.m. Our staff will provide the latest updates, share plans for assigning temporary housing and answer any questions you may have.
Please use the following link to attend: Zoom link
If you are unable to attend, a recording of the Town Hall will be made available online.
In the meantime, I am happy to address any immediate questions or concerns, so don’t hesitate to reach out. We hope to see you at the Town Hall and look forward to speaking with you.
Director of Residence Life
Why has the opening of Memorial Hall been postponed?
Delays in construction caused by unforeseen conditions and supply chain issues have disrupted the original schedule.
How will students be compensated for this inconvenience?
Students affected by the delayed opening of Memorial Hall will be charged the standard room rate in accordance with their temporary housing for the entirety of the fall 2023 semester, even after moving into Memorial. Please note: the Memorial room rate will resume in spring 2024. Students will also receive priority placement for selecting their housing assignments in fall 2024.
When will Memorial Hall be open?
The situation is evolving, but given the most recent update from the construction team, we anticipate Memorial Hall will be ready for occupancy in mid- to late fall 2023. Please note that while we are working diligently to open Memorial Hall as quickly as possible, the situation is fluid, and this date is subject to change.
Will construction disrupt students living nearby?
The heavy demolition work has been completed on Memorial, so we anticipate minimum issues with noise during the remaining stages of construction. If you have concerns about disruptions, please contact residence life staff.
Will Memorial be structurally sound and safe for occupancy when the building opens?
Renovations to Memorial adhere to all current safety standards, and the City of Frederick will not permit occupancy of the space until it passes a rigorous inspection.
Will Memorial have a functional elevator?
Yes, a new elevator is being installed in Memorial.
Are floor plans of Memorial available for reference?
We are working to provide accurate floor plans and will make those available to you as soon as possible.
What alternative housing options are available on campus?
Students may be reassigned on-campus dorm rooms in Meyran, Shriner, Smith, and Coblentz Halls.
How will the selection process for temporary housing assignments work?
In accordance with the standard selection process, the Memorial reassignment process will be based on credits.
Will my accommodations be honored?
We will honor and abide by all previously requested and accepted accommodations.
Will I be staying in a single or double?
Due to limited space, please be prepared to be temporarily housed in a double unless you have previously requested and received a disability accommodation.
Will there be additional storage for students to use on campus?
Again due to space limitations, we are unable to provide additional storage beyond your temporary housing assignment.
Can I keep my roommate?
Our office will aim to accommodate your current roommate; however, roommates will change once temporary housing spaces have been exhausted, and you may be temporarily assigned a new roommate.
Will my housing contract be honored, or will it need to be amended?
Your housing contract will be honored until Memorial Hall is ready.
Will student-athletes have temporary housing assignments ready for early move in?
Yes, all student-athletes will receive their temporary housing assignments in time to move in on the assigned date, August 16.
Where will Memorial RAs be housed?
RAs will be assigned temporary housing in Meyran, Shriner, Smith and Coblentz Halls. Despite this temporary relocation, they will continue to serve residential students and meet all RA work expectations.
Will there be assistance to help me move from my temporary dorm to Memorial Hall when it opens?
Volunteers will be available to help all students move their belongings from temporary lodgings into Memorial Hall.
If I prefer my temporary housing assignment, may I remain there instead of moving into Memorial?
Yes, you may elect to remain in your temporary housing assignment for the fall 2023 semester if that is your preference; however, you will be expected to move into Memorial Hall by the spring 2024 semester.
Who should I contact with questions or concerns?
Members of the residence life team will be contacting you directly to determine your temporary housing plan. In the meantime, you can contact the res life office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
September 7, 2023
- The new stair is being installed.
- The upper rooms and corridors are being painted.
- Finishes (flooring and tile) in the mock-up room and bathroom are being installed.
- The exterior cornice and gutter repairs are being completed.
- Site work has started.
- Upcoming work:
- Elevator installation.
- Window installation.
- Sprinkler system installation in core.
- Ceiling grid installation.
- Continue MEP work.
- Plumbing fixture installation.
August 21, 2023
- Work is accelerating in the center of the building now that the temporary structural supports have been removed.
- The new roof over the elevator is complete.
- Under-slab plumbing continues on the first floor.
- The Dedicated Outside Air System (DOAS) was installed in the fourth-floor mechanical room.
- Installation of drywall partitions and ceilings continues throughout the building.
- Shower bases have been installed.
- The elevator shaft walls are being installed.
- Repair of exterior elements (brick work, cornice, column) is ongoing.
- Upcoming work:
- New stair installation.
- Elevator installation.
- Site work.
August 4, 2023
- Structural work is complete and temporary structural supports are being removed from the center of the building.
- Drywall continues to be installed.
- Overhead HVAC work continues.
- Underground plumbing is being finalized.
- Exterior brick restoration is ongoing.
July 28, 2023
- Core structural work has been completed; inspections of that work are expected to be finished by July 31.
- Temporary shoring is expected to be removed within the next week, which will allow for the elevator enclosure and new stairwell to be completed.
- Drywall is being installed on the upper floors.
July 21, 2023
- Shoring removal is underway on all floors, which will then expedite cabling, wiring, etc.
- Partitions have been installed on all floors.
- Ceiling supports have been completed on the fourth floor.
July 14, 2023
- New structural steel for elevator core will be complete within the next two weeks.
- Mechanical, plumbing and electrical work is 80% complete, and most above ceiling work is complete,
- Inspections of infrastructure by the City of Frederick are ongoing.
- Wall and door framing is almost complete.
- Drywall has been delivered and installation will begin next week.